HAMMER 7MM 143 VS 177 FOR ELK

Funny how most hammer bullet threads turn into a fight.
Same can be said about literally any bullet thread, Berger, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, take your pick. There is always someone that knows better and has to tell the next guy they are wrong. Some people just don't have the tact for civil conversation and the ability to disagree without being condescending, unfortunately.

I think we need to remember on this forum that we are guests in Len's living room, and need to be respectful in our conversations.

Amen to that Cody, I'd only add that if one uses a bullet long enough sooner or later it'll do something that makes you go hmmm that doesn't mean it's a poor bullet just that it's a bulllet that's man made:)

Thank you Steve. That helps. I have been reading a lot and started to migrate towards the lighter side of the spectrum, (as you recommend)want to make sure things open up and are well over the 1800fps.

I am not sure how light i can go because my rifle is throated for berger 195's. Like a piercision. And i dont want a bunch of jump. When i get my oal figured out (cbto) ill send it to you and see what we can come up with.
As a general rule they don't mind jumping, so I don't think it will be a problem.

It's pretty simple Mono Bullets don't stack up well in a LR hunting rifle especially .338 and smaller. The larger diameters can produce enough frontal energy to disrupt tissues with out expanding a great deal.
The 28 nosler is going to depend on excelrated mass and a mono just ain't the best for that at LR.

"I've heard", "I been told", "I've read" and so on.

I have 25 heads on the wall, all but one killed with ONE Barnes bullet each. All died within sight. The exception was an Elk killed with a 1.2 ounce .610 Maxi ball of my design from a flintlock who went 20 whole yards until he ran out of blood.

I believe any quality big game bullet will any animal if put in the boiler room. Any view to the contrary is internet BS.

I agree monos work great for close work busting Bone. LR hunting Bullets they are Not.
25 heads very impressive but it doesn't change the facts.
I have only tested and shot about a few different monos via a universal receiver looking for velocity windows and disturbance.
Not one single mono ever did as well as a cup and core. No mater how big of hollow point we added. And the BC always suffers deterioration when a bigger HP is added.

NEV if your throats for a 195 I believe you bought well and just need to fallow through on it. You have gotten great info and it looks like it's up to you enjoy your hunt and post pics of the hunt and kill including bullet holes.

Headed home in a few.
A3E97767-576F-4577-A31D-9B714E8274FE.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm taking the 177 hh to Wyoming next week for elk. Running them at 2860 out of my short barrel 28n. Slow ya I guess. Accuracy is outstanding. Shots will be 600 and in, with the high likelihood of 100 yards. Right now it's what I'm most confident in dinging smallish steel plates out to 500. Will report back in a few weeks.

I'm taking the 177 hh to Wyoming next week for elk. Running them at 2860 out of my short barrel 28n. Slow ya I guess. Accuracy is outstanding. Shots will be 600 and in, with the high likelihood of 100 yards. Right now it's what I'm most confident in dinging smallish steel plates out to 500. Will report back in a few weeks.
they work 😝

525 yards one and done. By the time I got another round in chamber and back in glass my bull was tipping over.

I'll post up a thread with more information but here's a teaser

Attachments

• B66263A3-0231-418C-A9AD-58EC11EA1232.jpeg
    B66263A3-0231-418C-A9AD-58EC11EA1232.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 150
Pretty intense blood clotting/jelly. We took it to butcher rather quickly because of the 80 degree temperatures so I don't have a great detail about all the damage but dead is dead and it was quick

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.