Hammer 22 Creedmoor Testing

Got the Hammer Creed back from Primal Finish cerakote. Looks stunning. Will show that off later after I get proper pics taken.

I got a new scope mounted up and here are the first 3 shot groups as I chase seating depth around a bit. Zeroing on the right... then a couple of groups 5 thousandths apart. As I said before, seems super easy to get 1/2 moa. However, it's proving to be slightly more difficult to get that itty bitty level of performance that I'm accustomed to.

It's right there... this thing is just BEGGING to shoot bug holes. Two in the same hole, one out. It just keeps doing this. We're close folks. ;)

erW3uMgl.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Got the Hammer Creed back from Primal Finish cerakote. Looks stunning. Will show that off later after I get proper pics taken.

I got a new scope mounted up and here are the first 3 shot groups as I chase seating depth around a bit. Zeroing on the right... then a couple of groups 5 thousandths apart. As I said before, seems super easy to get 1/2 moa. However, it's proving to be slightly more difficult to get that itty bitty level of performance that I'm accustomed to.

It's right there... this thing is just BEGGING to shoot bug holes. Two in the same hole, one out. It just keeps doing this. We're close folks. ;)

erW3uMgl.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Now what do you think causes that? Seems like I have that happen a lot. I blame trigger break and group demons.

Now what do you think causes that? Seems like I have that happen a lot. I blame trigger break and group demons.
Me too. But I just blame myself! I need to practice more. Good shooting. I'd be more than happy with those groups. But I understand your going for better. Beyond my capabilities.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

My Creed did that with the 124 Hammers until we did a little crimp which tightened it up. Is the primer pushing it out a little sometimes before the powder ignites, causing pressure variations?

My Creed did that with the 124 Hammers until we did a little crimp which tightened it up. Is the primer pushing it out a little sometimes before the powder ignites, causing pressure variations?

I solved mine with a little crimp as well. It was the most consistent load I had ever shot. SD was single digit but just would not close to one group until I tried the Butterbean crimp

Thanks

Buck

I've run 6 - 7 different powders, every seating depth available, 3 types of brass, 3 primers, crimp, all manner of neck diameter... Even shot some in 2 other 22 creeds. Ran them from 4175fps all the way down to 3500fps. They shoot well enough for a lot of people's standard, in a lot of different loads, but not well enough for mine. There's several really nice groups I could grab from the testing thus far... but it wouldn't be indicative of the whole. They just don't want to behave in this barrel/chamber.

Make no mistake folks, I wouldn't really have an issue heading out to kill whatever I wanted with this level of performance... but those of you that know me, know I'm extremely uncompromising when it comes to finite precision and accuracy.

There are some 70gr HH's on the way, and I have hopes they will perform more consistently... as I should at least be able to approach the lands with them. I think these 52's are just too short for the .125 freebore I'm running in this barrel. Maybe they just don't like anything I'm doing. They are very jump tolerant if roughly 1/2-5/8 MOA is the delta. As you can see by the below targets... there were very few loads that resulted in "terrible" performance. I scattered a couple groups in between dots because I was too lazy to go down and hang more targets... lol

100yd 3-shot group testing
pwhgf8e.jpg

Two back to back 300yd groups, indicative of the same kind of dispersion I'm seeing at 100yds.
e9Wy6td.jpg

One group at 500yds, which the 9:00 wind did me no favors with this little itty bitty bullet. Well outside of its acceptable use range.
LJDLHJS.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I've run 6 - 7 different powders, every seating depth available, 3 types of brass, 3 primers, crimp, all manner of neck diameter... Even shot some in 2 other 22 creeds. Ran them from 4175fps all the way down to 3500fps. They shoot well enough for a lot of people's standard, in a lot of different loads, but not well enough for mine. There's several really nice groups I could grab from the testing thus far... but it wouldn't be indicative of the whole. They just don't want to behave in this barrel/chamber.

Make no mistake folks, I wouldn't really have an issue heading out to kill whatever I wanted with this level of performance... but those of you that know me, know I'm extremely uncompromising when it comes to finite precision and accuracy.

There are some 70gr HH's on the way, and I have hopes they will perform more consistently... as I should at least be able to approach the lands with them. I think these 52's are just too short for the .125 freebore I'm running in this barrel. Maybe they just don't like anything I'm doing. They are very jump tolerant if roughly 1/2-5/8 MOA is the delta. As you can see by the below targets... there were very few loads that resulted in "terrible" performance. I scattered a couple groups in between dots because I was too lazy to go down and hang more targets... lol

100yd 3-shot group testing
pwhgf8e.jpg

Two back to back 300yd groups, indicative of the same kind of dispersion I'm seeing at 100yds.
e9Wy6td.jpg

One group at 500yds, which the 9:00 wind did me no favors with this little itty bitty bullet. Well outside of its acceptable use range.
LJDLHJS.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Did you happen to do any BC testing or are you going to wait for the 70 HH?

What was your twist?
Page 1

Test rifle configuration -
Lone Peak Fuzion action
Triggertech Diamond trigger
SCR 26" benchmark barrel : 8 twist, heavy MTU, Primal Rights chamber.
Foundation Exodus stock
B&T Super-CAL bipod
Thunderbeast Ultra 7 suppressor
Hawkins DBM
Hawkins Heavy Tactical rings
Tangent Theta 525P

Interesting. Maybe the properties that make hammers "easy" to find a good shooting load, also prevent them from being tuned into "one hole" type groups. I think most guys are pleased when their hunting rifle is shooting 1/2moa with a hammer and rarely go beyond that. I do love being able to find a usable, top end velocity load in 10-15 shots.

Yes, I do hope this thread doesn't get pulled off on a tangent too far regarding what defines "acceptable" performance. Obviously I keep my own definitions. Bottom line, rightly or wrongly, this is what my delta for acceptable performance looks like at 600yds with a .22 creedmoor. A lot of coyotes get shot between 500-700yds every year. I need that level of consistency in order to do that.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Thats awesome! I love the lil hammers in my 22 creed also. Shooting the 35g hammer at 4400 with varget also
I came close to that with the 35 hammers out of 22-250 12 twist IMR3031. Shot great as well. Never thought of using them in 22 Creeds and driving them up to pressure to see how they shoot. The groups are 3 shots at 105yds. 2 sighted shots to left of dime. That's out of a 22" benchmark hunting weight barrel comparable to Bart 3 profile.

Attachments

• CD5CDAD8-7F16-41B4-95D1-BA41B3AD8EBF.jpeg
    CD5CDAD8-7F16-41B4-95D1-BA41B3AD8EBF.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 45
  • B2D3A527-D279-4E4C-85F8-808887356A1D.jpeg
    B2D3A527-D279-4E4C-85F8-808887356A1D.jpeg
    552.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DB4475A4-324A-40F7-84E6-E141CB5BE841.jpeg
    DB4475A4-324A-40F7-84E6-E141CB5BE841.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 47