Hammer 139gr shock hammer vs Berger 140 elite hunter

Txcowboy50

I am currently loading Berger 140gr elite hunter for my PRC. I was considering using the Hammer 139gr Shock hammer. But the G1 and G7 are better in the Berger's at one half the cost of the Hammers (Cost differential is really not a consideration). My use is for cow elk out to 600yd. Maybe I should just buy some and load them up see which one my gun likes better. Would appreciate feedback from those of you who have loaded both.

Totally different bullet construction. You are going to be very hard pressed to ever find a monolithic bullet to have the same BC as a cup and core bullet because lead is substantially more dense. The calling card for Hammer bullets is the reliable expansion and penetration that being monolithic provides. If you are concerned about the BC's, you should look at the lighter Absolute Hunter lineup and compare ballistics of the lighter bullet being pushed faster. To a max of 600 yards, I would imagine the Absolutes will be right there with the Berger.

Since its after 600 yds that you would start to see the benefits of higher bc bergers, i would recommend the hammers. Depending on your twist rate you could consider 124/139 hammer hunters for a higher bc than shock hammer. I switched to hammers a few years back and havent needed to follow a blood trail since. Close to 20 critters as my friends often use my rifle.

While I like the Bergers and have killed a couple elk with that bullet at extended ranges with great results, with a 600 yd max and likely closer than that on elk, especially in the 6.5 cal I would go for the hammer myself. Our elk shots have averaged around 750 for a while, ranging from 500ish to a little over 1000, that is where the high bc really comes into play. Sub 600 though, it's not near as relevant, and the hammers will penetrate better with the higher impact velocities of those ranges, and shouldn't have an issue if you hit the large shoulder bone joint. I haven't shot an elk less than around 650 with a Berger that I can recall, so I can't speak for higher velocity heavy bone impacts with them.

Totally different bullet construction. You are going to be very hard pressed to ever find a monolithic bullet to have the same BC as a cup and core bullet because lead is substantially more dense. The calling card for Hammer bullets is the reliable expansion and penetration that being monolithic provides. If you are concerned about the BC's, you should look at the lighter Absolute Hunter lineup and compare ballistics of the lighter bullet being pushed faster. To a max of 600 yards, I would imagine the Absolutes will be right there with the Berger.
I think you mean Hammer Hunters or maybe Absolute Hammers.

I have shot both in different rifles. I currently shoot a 143 ham hunter in my 7 saum and have taken a nice bull elk with fabulous results at a mere 195 yards. My new 6.5 Saum is liking the 140 EH. I was worried about high velocity impacts with the "weaker" Berger but had this happen shooting at my range. Wanted a quick sight in shot before shooting much longer. Had a small plate at 150 and figured a single shot would be fine. This is the 3/8" AR 500 plate and the 140 elite hunter punched through at 150 yards. Was expecting it to blow up but got a punch through (and now am buying another target). Looking forward to shooting my first hog with it and see how it acts. Still surprised it did this to the steel.

Attachments

• 6BDB8CFE-AD2F-40DF-83FD-973DE830F39A.jpeg
    6BDB8CFE-AD2F-40DF-83FD-973DE830F39A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
  • 7CE04A76-B139-492D-BE1D-D2B03C965489.jpeg
    7CE04A76-B139-492D-BE1D-D2B03C965489.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
Assuming your gun shoots both of these well, is there a wrong answer?
Many here report great success with both options.....try not to over think it.

I think if you want to look at 600y and in hunting with the 6.5 prc I would load the 124g Hammer Hunter. We are pushing these at between 3450 and 3500 fps. Out to 600y this is very effective and tough for anything else to run with.

In a 6.5 PRC? What powder???

Last edited:
I'll just put it out there, I've killed several critters (elk, deer, and bear) with 195 gr Berger EOLs, all 200-300 yd, with the bullet moving 3000fps at the muzzle. Shot placement is everything with that soft of a bullet at that speed. About 6" of penetration on an elk shoulder. If you don't touch bone on the front side of the animal, it'll pass through a deer. I'm in the process of switching to Hammers for better penetration.