Hammer 124 Hunter Necropsy

I have a the ruger American go wild in 6.5 creed. I was thinking about the 124hammer for my kid to use he is ten. For deer. What is a good powder to start with?

Email Steve Davis. I can't remember the lid off the top of my head. But he'll get you started so you don't waste a bunch of ammo testing for load.

So out of curiosity what kind of velocity can you expect from the 6.5 PRC with the 110 and 124 Hammer Hunters?

My Dad just got an X-Bolt Pro and I'm looking for a load that will work for deer and pigs out to 600.

Email Steve Davis. I can't remember the lid off the top of my head. But he'll get you started so you don't waste a bunch of ammo testing for load.
RL16 is working well for me with the 124s but H4350 has always been my go to powder with my Creedmoors and Varget is getting excellent results, as well.

So out of curiosity what kind of velocity can you expect from the 6.5 PRC with the 110 and 124 Hammer Hunters?

My Dad just got an X-Bolt Pro and I'm looking for a load that will work for deer and pigs out to 600.
I shoot the 124 gr in my 6.5-284 Norma, so it should be about the same in your PRC. I get 3235 fps using H4831

I shoot the 124 gr in my 6.5-284 Norma, so it should be about the same in your PRC. I get 3235 fps using H4831

What is your load and barrel length? I did some testing yesterday with a 122gr solid copper bullet using 55gr of H4831 SC and only managed 2890 fps with a 26" barrel which seems really slow.

I have a 28" Krieger barrel. My load is 55.0 gr of regular cut H4831. COAL is 3.080". You may want to use RL23 if you can get your hands on some. I'm using it with the 140 gr VLD and getting great results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.