Hammer “failure” and the importance of shot placement, kind of….! Pics included.

I put failure in quotes hoping to imply sarcasm as so many folks are split on copper vs cup/core. I also felt the good performance of the hammer on the second pig with much poorer shot placement (in the bum) would add the the irony, but text doesn't translate like true speech. I try to never give a product negative reviews unless totally warranted. I prefer honest experiences based on a given occurrence and everyone can choose for their own. Thanks for your input and I'll try to keep my words more clear in the future. To be fair to the Mfg (Hammerbullets), I am fixing to order more!
Great response,

Congratulations on successfully verifying the benefits of using a quality bullet when presented with a "much less than desirable" shot.

Obviously shot placement is a prerequisite…..but, is pure conjecture as to whether the the first pig would've expired when hit with a Berger……given shot placemen!

The high BC, easy/rapid/fragile expanding bullets may have their place, but….. this ain't it! memtb

Last edited:
I totally agree on shot placement and bullet design. I have used Berger140 vld in my 6.5-284 with hundreds of kills on hogs and deer at all distances with none escaping. I recently switched to the 153.5 after a few bad experiences with the 156 and hard quartering angles. I have no data on the 153 yet other than excellent accuracy and a perfect drop chart. I will confidently say that the 6.5 140 PROBABLY would have killed the neck shot hog and DEFINITELY NOT killed the butt shot hog. Bergers do what they do, Hammers do what they do, use them accordingly but expect different results from different designs.

I totally agree on shot placement and bullet design. I have used Berger140 vld in my 6.5-284 with hundreds of kills on hogs and deer at all distances with none escaping. I recently switched to the 153.5 after a few bad experiences with the 156 and hard quartering angles. I have no data on the 153 yet other than excellent accuracy and a perfect drop chart. I will confidently say that the 6.5 140 PROBABLY would have killed the neck shot hog and DEFINITELY NOT killed the butt shot hog. Bergers do what they do, Hammers do what they do, use them accordingly but expect different results from different designs.

The 153's have closed tips so while they may shoot well the terminal performance will most likely be lacking though I haven't personally shot anything but targets with them.

I plan to open the tips on anything used for hunting. The 208 30 cal works phenomenal so I was hoping the target jacket of the153 will increase the penetration over the 156.