Halloween buck

In theory, the rut should occur at such a time that newborn fawns are dropped early enough in the year that they mature enough to make it through the following winter. Apparently the Northern Alabama deer mentioned above can make it through the following winter at a younger age. I guess that makes sense.
Part of my yard had green grass in the first few days of Dec... our winters arent exactly harsh, haha.

I was able to connect on a good N. GA buck this past Halloween, He was a solid 9pt. And thank GOD I did get on him because the pre rut/rut was a drag around my parts.
Brent, Compared to the diminutive deer in South Arkansas your buck looks proud. Was looking forward to shooting one with my 6.5 Creedmoor, the day before gun season I got this with crossbow, November 13. I am curious how wide your buck's rack measures?

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_142542428.jpg
    IMG_20201113_142542428.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20201113_142526094.jpg
    IMG_20201113_142526094.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 123
In theory, the rut should occur at such a time that newborn fawns are dropped early enough in the year that they mature enough to make it through the following winter. Apparently the Northern Alabama deer mentioned above can make it through the following winter at a younger age. I guess that makes sense.
I've got 2 fawns on camera about 10days ago that are still covered in spots and probably 20-25 lbs. Thats the latest dropped fawns I've seen. But then again I have to spray round up year round to keep weeds at bay

Brent, Compared to the diminutive deer in South Arkansas your buck looks proud. Was looking forward to shooting one with my 6.5 Creedmoor, the day before gun season I got this with crossbow, November 13. I am curious how wide your buck's rack measures?
Hes 16.5 inside if I remember right

Congrats on very nice buck. I don't know much about southern whitetails but wondering , is the black face on him normal ? I like the way it looks.

Went back and looked at your pics and I would be pleased to get a shot at such a pretty buck. Can't believe he's only 16.5" wide. Even if that is correct, he's a Southern Joy for deer. And it isn't the size that matters so much as the whole experience. The most exciting thing to me is the autopsy and the whole moment of the shot. Tell us everything. Really, its cold here and I need to hear a warm story.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.