Half of case stuck in chamber, any advice?

tanner o

Ok, so yesterday was a perfect day to go shoot some gophers so I did. I was shooting my .223 ai but fire forming cases to the ai case. So the last round I had in the mag box I just decided to shoot a rock before I left. I pull the trigger rock blows up smile a great end to a great day. Then I eject the case and only about 1/3 of it comes out. It split all the around and broke off. Any ideas how to get this out. There were no pressure sigh s all day. Load is 25gr of 8208 xbr with a 40 gr bullet and fed 205 primer. The brass is win. Any body felt with this before? Just looking for a couple simple ideas on how to get it out before I take it to my smith. Any help would appreciated. Thanks

sounds like a head separation from repeated loads or excessive stretching (probably not pressure related)....

before you buy anything it won't hurt to try a .243 cal cleaning brush from the muzzle end first..it may just easily push out...or try a .30 cal brush from the breach slide it in the front half of the case and pull it out...

good luck

before you shoot any more check the brass for more of the same....search this forum for tricks ie: the paper clip test...I made a tool for this....also you might see visual signs on your loaded brass of more head separation to come....shiny rings about the same place your other one came apart...

again good luck,
randy

sounds like a head separation from repeated loads or excessive stretching (probably not pressure related)....

before you buy anything it won't hurt to try a .243 cal cleaning brush from the muzzle end first..it may just easily push out...or try a .30 cal brush from the breach slide it in the front half of the case and pull it out...

good luck

before you shoot any more check the brass for more of the same....search this forum for tricks ie: the paper clip test...I made a tool for this....also you might see visual signs on your loaded brass of more head separation to come....shiny rings about the same place your other one came apart...

again good luck,
randy

That's also a good way to have a stuck case and a stuck cleaning brush in your chamber. Not trying to be a smarta$$ but I would never stick a cleaning brush down the muzzle end, especially one that is a larger caliber. That's just my opinion and you know what they say about those! :)

Sometimes you can chamber another empty case part way and it will pull it out. Just start the empty case in there a push on it a bit then, extract and see if it comes out with the broken case over it.

Jeff

Stick the brush in from the chamber end. Run the bristles just past the neck and pull back.
The bristles should grab the neck enough to extract the case.

It worked for me

Hopefully you have removed the stuck case by now.

You are going to have to address the reason for the case head separation.

Are you using virgin brass for your AI fireforming? If yes then why did that case come apart? Excessive headspace?

If you are using brass that has been fired one or more times, hopefully you are keeping a round count of the brass you use. If you are using brass with a mixed number of firings this could get very tiresome trying to sort them out. You might want to own that Brownell's stuck case removal tool because it just may happen again.

I used a chamber brush pushed it in just a little and out it came. I bought the brass as once fired and it had been tumbled and sized. I always like to leave a little portion of the case neck unsized just for headspace issues, but was unable to with this brass. This about the last of the brass to be fire formed. I had one other case crack but not break off completely. So I do think it is a headspace problem and could be a bad piece of 2 of brass but probably more headspace. Thank you guys so much!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.