Half moon cut to extract loaded ammo

dgarrett

I am having a 338 Edge built on a Remington 700 Action with the 4.00 inch Wyatts box.... Is there any problems with having a half moon cut done on the action ... Just like the Weather
IMG_1318.JPG
by's have so I can extract loaded ammo without pulling my bolt????

With a 4" box after you cut the front the rear opening will need opened up to or it is so deep under the bridge the brass will not swing out. It will just fall off the extractor and lay there. I'm not a fan of the 4" box at all.

I believe only the front will be cut... My loaded round will be 3.940 oal... It is close to extracting with the bolt stop cut back. Just the very tip of the bullet isn't clearing the front opening of the action... maybe 1/16 of an inch cut would let it flip out...Reasons for the 4.00 inch wyatts over the 3.85 are to load long and chase all the extra performance I can out of the standard Edge... My goal is to be able to shoot the 300 grain Bergers at 3000fps using reloader 33... Just like the other 2 edges did using the same reamer... all in a repeater...I had to trip the bolt release on these rifles to extract a loaded round... Not a huge issue but I cussed every time I had to do it..I will know soon enough... My rifle is at Kampfields right now getting fluted skeletonized and the receiver milled to open up for extraction.... I sent a dummy round... Will report when I get it back

Could you explain more
After you get the bottom of the action cut and the bolt stop trimmed, chamber an empty case. Then slowly pull the bolt to the rear while pushing inward on the case so the ejector plunger can't eject it. Pull the bolt all the way back against the stop. Now take your finger off the case and see if it flips out or if it jams against the inside of the rear bridge.

I do see how that test would work on a standard Remington 700 that is a great idea.
Most of mine are on a custom action and all of my rem 700s have a M16 extractor and some of them I've had turned into a dual plunger mostly the magnums

I had to grind the inside of the rear bridge on a BAT HR action for an Ultra Mag size case. I would check it on any action I used.

I would have to assume it is done on a custom action.
and I don't run anything bigger than 300 win mag on the Remington 700 that I had blueprinted
good information thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190312-173942~2.png
    Screenshot_20190312-173942~2.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 210
A number of years ago (2007?) we built a pair of Lapuas on 700 actions. We actually milled out the rear receiver bridge to make the opening about 1/4" longer. In addition to this we also enlarged the "cone" shape relief that's milled inside the bridge. Worked very nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.