Had some volunteers for a day of testing

ss7mm

Since I had some volunteers all lined up and itching to help me with some bullet testing, I loaded them all up and headed for the hills yesterday morning. I blew some up and put some into almost the same holes so all in all it was a great day. Like they say, the worst day shooting is better than the best day working and today was a great day of shooting.
DSC02598.jpg

This is a shot of the setup and chronograph. This was after I was done testing. I had been in the shade all morning but now it was getting a little warm. This was at 4270' elevation.
DSC02616.jpg

This is just a shot of the "junk" on the shooting bench. You can see the 100 yard target in the upper right window of the chronograph. I had other targets set out to 600 yards.
DSC02620-cropped.jpg

This is a shot of what some of the better behaved "volunteers" did at 300 yards. This was shot early in the morning when conditions were perfect.
DSC02624.jpg

And this is what some did at 600 yards. This was also shot early in the morning when conditions were perfect. By the time I was packing up and ready to go somewhere else, you had trouble seeing the 600 yard bull because it was boiling so bad.
DSC02623.jpg
DSC02623.jpg

When I finished testing here I loaded everything up and moved over into the next drainage and did some fun shooting out to just under 1200 yards. This is a spot where I can shoot out to over 2000 yards if needed. Where I was shooting from in this drainage was at 5180' elevation. The poor old rocks didn't stand a chance.

Dick,

T'was a great day of shooting!!

Those groups shown are great for size. The shape however would drive me nuts. Both are the same shape. Why is that? What could I try to shrink 'em even more? I'd loose sleep over that.:rolleyes: I need to up my meds.....:)

I also need a new barrel on mine.:rolleyes:

It was just me and they were only the dreaded 3 shot groups. I know that normally they are shaped the way I like them so I don't worry about it. If you start chasing your tail over every little possible abnormality you'll go goofy. With this gun and load I know better than to worry about some "driver error". It'll do its job, I just need to do mine. :):)

Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing the pics. Are you still shooting the 200g Wildcats in the 7mmAM?

Did you draw any special permits in WA this year?

Still shooting the Wildcat 200s. They are the ones smacking the rocks at 1200 yards. I didn't draw anything this year although I put in for multiples of just about everything. Our amazing game department has figured out how to make more draws available to get more money out of us while making sure we never draw any permits.:cool:

Still shooting the Wildcat 200s. They are the ones smacking the rocks at 1200 yards. I didn't draw anything this year although I put in for multiples of just about everything. Our amazing game department has figured out how to make more draws available to get more money out of us while making sure we never draw any permits.:cool:

Huh...bummer...haven't heard of too many folks drawing special tags this year. I wonder how the WDFW coffers are doing? I put in for 7 (ouch $ more than usual) and got one master hunter elk tag for the peshastin area, which is a total crapshoot in terms of the hunt even happening let alone me be available during the timeframe they might want someone to come over to deal with some problem elk. I don't like hunting elk that way (designated wilderness backpacking hunt is my style), but it's a second or third chance to fill the freezer if I can't produce during the regular season. A bit dissapointed with 7 apps and nothing of any consequence really, but that's the way it goes!

Hey, BTW, might seem like a silly question, but what powder funnel are you using on the 7mmAM? I'm guessing its the same shoulder configuration or close to my 338AX and I already drilled out my old RCBS powder funnel with a 9/16 bit to fit on the case, but the wall was then so thin that it's cracking and won't last much longer... Jon

Sounds like you put in for about the same amount of permits as I did. Even if they do build up their "coffers", they'll figure some way to blow it on something besides game management.

I know what it was like when my dad hunted and I know what it was like when I was young. Unfortunately, I now know what it's like today and it's not something to brag about.

I use Satern funnels for all of my reloading. They're the best I've found.

show off
you must have gone home with a grin from ear to ear
thank you for sharing i wish i could get out to some longer ranges more often were i live it is very dense bush making good shooting spots difficult to find

Roy, I meant to get this posted earlier so you'd be able to get some sleep after seeing the original groups. This is what it usually does so I don't get too excited when I steer it a little crooked some times.

DSC01553Small.jpg

Nice shooting.

I got drawn for spokane north doe tag found some IEP land with a good chance of shooting one from 500-800 yard.

Dident get drawn for any thing else though i dont have many points.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.