H4350?

The middle one is a 6.5RPM Wea. The bottom one is my 6.5 mm wildcat that matches the RPM in volume. It was my hunting round for a couple years. I had it bored out by oregunsmithingllc.com. Starting with Norma 7 Rem Mag brass I load 72.0 grains behind a Hammer Hunter 198 grain using a Federal 215 Mag primer produces 3,054 feet per second.
IMG_20200413_141411.jpg

I would think RL16 will perform well in those cartridges based on my experience in 30-06 and 300WSM and it exhibiting a burn rate in the 4350's range. I also think RL26 would perform well based on what I've read about it and its position in the burn rate chart. With both, I would start with a magnum primer.

26 isn't that stable as far as I can see but it seems to give bigger velocities than 4350 or RL23. RL23 is super temp stable. If you're using H4350 now, then RL23 will be your huckleberry. I get exactly the same charge weight between H4350 and RL23 producing exactly the same velocity but I get half the muzzle velocity variation with RL23 that I did with H4350. This is all in ~40gr capacity 6mm chamberings. Takes 39.5gr of H4350 or RL23 to get 2980fps with 115gr DTAC's or 108gr ELD-M's.

Temp sensitivity showed itself too much with H4350 my 6XC so I went back to RL-23 which I'd been using in my .243AI with amazing results. I shoot matches in California desert conditions at pretty small targets and it's always between 60F and 100F. I was seeing too much vertical dispersion when it got hot with H4350, IMR4350 was making too much pressure and was way more unstable and RL23 seems to not care if it's 90F or 50F.

The single best powder ever engineered !! The "mothers milk" of a lot of cartridges...if you could only have one single powder to use for the rest of your days you'd be hard pressed to find a better one...perfect in everything based off the /06 case, perfect foe ever short mag case and in the belted magnums also..you may give up a little velocity but it is super clean and for whatever reason always super accurate...NOW IF YOU COULD ONLY BUY IT....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.