H4350 to RL22?

Rich Coyle

Right now I am using H4350 @72 grains with a Hammer Hunter 198 grain bullet in an 8mm-.338 Win Mag. The ES's are too much for my liking. I have some RL22. Would it be any better? If so how much would one use for a starting load?

Two questions, what's your ES currenty / goal and what's your neck tension.

I don't know a great deal about RL powders but I can't imagine it would have a better es than H4350 or any of the Hodgden extreme powders.

Have you given any thoughts to HIK or Retumbo? They're about the creme of crop for magnums and low es.

RL-22 is not a very temp stable powder it is one of the worst in the RL. line up. but if you want to try start at 70-71 gr. max will most likely be compressed.
quickload has a 8mm-7rm believe it or not. I went with a barnes 200 gr and very generic with the settings and I don't think you will hit max with out crunching powder.

I use RL22 in my 30-06 for a hunting load. I understand that it's a bit hot outside right now, I keep my gun in the truck to cool off between shots. It was 90 today, still shot a sub 4 inch group at 450 yards. During the season, it hits right where I expect it to. Sure it will change a bit, but for my load it actually tightens up in the cold. Knowing is all that matters.

I'll second the R16. It's more temp stable than H4350, and I've had great es numbers using it. You generally get a bit more velocity than H4350 too.

I'd go for Reloder 17 to replace either of the 4350s. Temp stable and unlike the other Rl powders is made in Switzerland vs Sweden. It has a different type of deterrent coating that completely penetrated the powder granule and results in a longer pressure pulse than other powders. It is also denser so more powder by weight can be placed in the same space in the case. JM

Come on now...this is not even a fair fight....never been a better powder than H-4350 !!! The "mothers milk" of just about everything......the real if you could only have just one powder of all time...

There is nothing inherently bad about the 4350s. It's just older technology. Reloder 17 gives me more velocity (+125 fps), with my 375 H&H pushing 300 gr bullets with less pressure. FWIW. JM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.