H4350 substitute

We are in a whole new realm of reloading components at this time. Months ago there were no bullets, powder, primers.. Now there is by previous standards, a lot of powder on the market. Since retailers are selling it, the HOARDERS are trying to sell what they were posting for for several hundred % mark up. DON'T BUY HORDER PRICES!!
AND now retailers are going to have to start lowering their prices. It's a game. You see one retailer selling an 8# jug of H4350 for $270 and then a $20 haz mat fee. = $290. Then you have another retailer selling an 8# of H4350 for $217.93 with $19.92 haz, $19.46 shipping and $15 tax. = around $280.00
Same thing with bullets. I have traded some of my prized varmint bullets for Berger 6mm 105 hybrids. Now Berger has been dumping bullets and I have enough 105hybrids for two seasons.
It is only going to get better for all of us shooters. TRUST ME!!!
We are already starting to see PRIMERS coming back -although they are mostly pistol primers (would love to see some BR2s, BR4s and 450s. 250s)
Again I am in the mindset that positive things are happening. I know that the amount of new shooters has overwhelmed the manufactures for ammo. That's why, we as, freeloaders are not getting the powder & primers because the manufactures will make more money on finished ammo than components.
IT DOES NOT matter how much powder. bullets, brass you have in stock. If you don't have the PRIMERS to go with each bullet you can not shoot.
I can not tell any of you how many posts I see, as well as you, here and on all other forums about getting powder. If I don't have those MAGIC PRIMERS the powder is just dust!
We really need to get the Manufactures to recognize we need PRIMERS or all the bullets and powder mean nothing!

Last edited:
Have you tried Staball 6.5? It's very similar to H4350. I use it in my 6mmCreed and 6.5creed and it's some of the best stuff I've used.

Have you tried Staball 6.5? It's very similar to H4350. I use it in my 6mmCreed and 6.5creed and it's some of the best stuff I've used.

I ended getting 5 -1# cans of Staball 6.5 a few months ago when powder was just starting to be dumped in the market. I have not used it yet. Have plenty of H4350. Will try one can just to see, but H4350 rocks in my .260, 243, 270wsm, & 325wsm.

I think I saw on either Brownell's or Natchez last few months that it was advertised as last in stock because being discontinued.
May not be right, but since Hodgdon's own's both companies since they bought IMR, and they already have H4350 and the two are within a hair of being identical, well anything can happen,
Bummer. IMR is $10 less a pound and shoots great!

Anyone being forced to play with different powders that normally would use 4350? Any luck with loads substituting H4350? Noticed Accurate 4350 comes available every now and again , is it similar? I've just always used h4350 because it works well in all cartridges I use.
That's the beauty of reloading, making it work with what is available.

Wincherster Stable 6.5. I've been very pleased with is. Zero temp problems, I used it at a shooting school in utah 3 weeks ago and the temps were in the high 80's and low 90's with problem. It meters better than H4350 because it's a small granule. I just ordered 2-8 lbs. from Recob's for $193.50 each.

If they are discontinuing IMR 4350 that really bums me out. Its my go to powder for .257 roberts and .338 wm and 30-06 - serviceable in my 7mm rem mag also. Also what im stocked up on... Means I will have to switch everything over once my current lot is low

Brownells has a lot of powder right now

H4350, right now, @ Brownells:

Get some N555 too. Spread the hazmat and shipping over multiple pounds...

Grab an 8lb of StaBALL 6.5 while you're at it (also have 1lbs):

LINK TO EVERYTHING IN STOCK @ BROWNELLS:
Thanks! I picked up 8lbs of Staball.

IMR 4350 and H 4350 seemed to have very similar burn rates to me. Most of the 30-06 and 270 Win hunting loads I would use it for suggest 1.5 to 2 grains less if your using IMR 4350 over H 4350 . In most loads you can safely fill cases to about 95% . I cannot speak to the reaction of these powders at Temp. differences. I have never noticed any differences . IMHO Excellent powder for many medium to big game rifle cartridge's. Always used Win LR Primers in my Non Magnum hunting loads with 4350.

The burn rates of IMR 4350 and H4350 are within a whisker of each other at least based on manufacturer data.