H4350 Located $$$

Hey guys, I found 2, 8lb. kegs of H4350 sitting on a reloading shelf in a farm supply/equipment sales store. My question is how much is too much for this powder. I bought 8lb. from an online supplier last year for around $210.00. Trouble is that was last year and supply and demand has changed drastically. With the events going on around us, should I just bite the bullet and pay the extra cash ($269.99) which with the tax would be $290.00 or wait until it is available here in the states at a later date. I know this is probably price gouging, but what I know is this is a very desirable powder and quite rare right now. What would you do? It is not the best choice for some of the calibers I reload for but will work with all of them with the right bullet choices. It comes out to $36.25 per lb. with taxes, ouch.
Us humans are funny when it comes to purchasing items. Its not so much can I afford it. It seems we are more worried about someone saying
Hey guys, I found 2, 8lb. kegs of H4350 sitting on a reloading shelf in a farm supply/equipment sales store. My question is how much is too much for this powder. I bought 8lb. from an online supplier last year for around $210.00. Trouble is that was last year and supply and demand has changed drastically. With the events going on around us, should I just bite the bullet and pay the extra cash ($269.99) which with the tax would be $290.00 or wait until it is available here in the states at a later date. I know this is probably price gouging, but what I know is this is a very desirable powder and quite rare right now. What would you do? It is not the best choice for some of the calibers I reload for but will work with all of them with the right bullet choices. It comes out to $36.25 per lb. with taxes, ouch.
It seems us humans are funny creatures when it comes to spending our money. Seems we are worried more about someone telling us we paid to much and could have got it elsewhere cheaper like they did. We forget that a store owner or supplier has many expenses and is providing a service for us careful buyers. If supply shrinks price quickly becomes less important. I look back at what I paid for 22 rimfire when they became scarce. None of this will matter someday, and maybe soon. I am sort of looking at the big picture and the long term.

Today.... 8lb jug..
ProductQuantityPrice
Hodgdon H4350 - HODGDON H4350 8# 1 $201.00
Subtotal:$201.00
Shipping:$15.95 via Shipping
Hazmat shipping surcharge:$19.95
Tax:$0.00
Payment method:Credit Card
Total:T

I feel your dilemma. I think when suppliers start catching up, prices are going to jump anyway. I have no idea if they'll get to the level you're debating now, but who knows?

For me, I do love to shoot. But I'm not paying nearly 40 bucks a pound for powder at this point.
I was able to procure a 1 Lb. Plastic jar of Winchester's Stabill 6.5 @ $ 38.00 and considered myself fortunate So I guess it is the "Law Of Supply & Demand" that will dictate the price of powder just like every thing else !
To that end I guess that if you want it bad enough your gonna have to pay the piper!

Man I'd love to find Retumbo here in Canada. That and H1000 have been MIA for over a year. Wanted to try both.
That was the first Retumbo I had found in quite a while. That's why I went ahead and paid the price, and bought it all. I have 12 pounds of H1000, but I'm looking for more.

just let them keep it to much money it will go down
Exactly what I did. I went with 8# of H1000 and 8# of H4831SC, I guess the H4350 I already have will just have to do for now, I think I will be fine. I used the money I saved to buy a brick of Federal 215 match primers.

That was the first Retumbo I had found in quite a while. That's why I went ahead and paid the price, and bought it all. I have 12 pounds of H1000, but I'm looking for more.
That's great that you found powder. Around here my fellow reloaded and shooting pals are doing some trading. As of today the only powder I was interested in and could trade for was BLC-2. Ive never tried it before so there's that. Plus I'm getting rid of some 80gr .224 Hornady.

I would grab it. I needed Retumbo but my gunshop only had 8 lbs of H1000.I now have 8 lbs of H1000 Retumbo unfindable. Powder in hand better than powder on back order

It's no wonder there is a shortage...

Looked at Midway last night and all their powder said currently unavailable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts