H4350 Located $$$

Hey guys, I found 2, 8lb. kegs of H4350 sitting on a reloading shelf in a farm supply/equipment sales store. My question is how much is too much for this powder. I bought 8lb. from an online supplier last year for around $210.00. Trouble is that was last year and supply and demand has changed drastically. With the events going on around us, should I just bite the bullet and pay the extra cash ($269.99) which with the tax would be $290.00 or wait until it is available here in the states at a later date. I know this is probably price gouging, but what I know is this is a very desirable powder and quite rare right now. What would you do? It is not the best choice for some of the calibers I reload for but will work with all of them with the right bullet choices. It comes out to $36.25 per lb. with taxes, ouch.
Order it online ASAP for less. Just received 16 pounds from precision reloading for 410 including hazmat.

Hey guys, I found 2, 8lb. kegs of H4350 sitting on a reloading shelf in a farm supply/equipment sales store. My question is how much is too much for this powder. I bought 8lb. from an online supplier last year for around $210.00. Trouble is that was last year and supply and demand has changed drastically. With the events going on around us, should I just bite the bullet and pay the extra cash ($269.99) which with the tax would be $290.00 or wait until it is available here in the states at a later date. I know this is probably price gouging, but what I know is this is a very desirable powder and quite rare right now. What would you do? It is not the best choice for some of the calibers I reload for but will work with all of them with the right bullet choices. It comes out to $36.25 per lb. with taxes, ouch.

Think of it a different way... 8lbs of powder is probably good for somewhere in the neighborhood of 900-1400 rounds depending on what you are loading for (I'm assuming a Creedmoor or maybe an -06 variant since you said H4350) is it worth 5-10cents extra per round to you (based on this shop's markup over typical online price) to grab what you can physically put your hands on right now?

If I got to the point I REALLY needed something... I wouldnt worry over something that small. As someone else pointed out, margin on stuff like powder probably isnt great for a small shop so $250-275 out the door isn't completely unreasonable for a jug of something popular so this isn't that much worse, especially since you arent paying shipping/hazmat when you buy local. The shops charging $400+ for a case of 55gr FMJ right now are a different story.

Update on my search for powder. Was on Midway's site and found 1# cans of H4350, was looking at 8# kegs of H4831SC. While I was looking around Midway updated their website to reveal that they no longer had the H4350 in stock so I immediately went to Midsouth's website because it was posted on here that they might have it in stock. Guess what I found on there, 1# cans of H1000 in stock, I hope it is not a mistake. I ordered 8#, didn't want to be a hog. I also went back to Midway's site and ordered an 8# keg of H4831SC. I have never used the H4831SC before, I hope it is the same as the H4831, says that it is. If you need either of these two powders, I hope this information is correct and that it helps someone on here. That farm supply store can keep their overpriced powder, LOL.
You will never go back to original H4831 once you use H4831SC

I feel your dilemma. I think when suppliers start catching up, prices are going to jump anyway. I have no idea if they'll get to the level you're debating now, but who knows?

For me, I do love to shoot. But I'm not paying nearly 40 bucks a pound for powder at this point.
Try living in the UK boys. Its closer to £50 (£'s not $'s!) here in the UK and has been for a while. Everytime I depress the trigger on my 300wby I can hear the cash emptying outta my pockets..

Try living in the UK boys. Its closer to £50 (£'s not $'s!) here in the UK and has been for a while. Everytime I depress the trigger on my 300wby I can hear the cash emptying outta my pockets..
at that price you need to be shooting a 22 hornet not the 300 bee I feel for you somebody always has it worse than you do that why I quit bitchin

Actually it is il
actually it is illegal to price gouge. You can report it to your legislation and they can put a stop to it. You just have to have proof. Amazon broke over 5000 contracts do to price gouging. Now those people are being find.

Another reason to stock up when you find one you like...like toilet paper. You know you like it....you know you "need" it...get plenty and no worries about shortages. Stay ahead of the game.....

if you want it.....
Pay the money and let the small time guy make a little.

comes full circle.
Yes, I don't have a problem supporting the small guy and would rather support local businesses, however this particular farm supply warehouse is quite large and well known in Eastern Ohio and WV. They have millions of dollars of inventory in several locations. The store I was at probably had over 100 John Deere farm tractors and other SXS's and farm equipment. They are not a typical small business at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.