H4350 for 7mm STW

General RE LEE

Only load data I've found is on Hodgdon and it's for light .284 bullets. I've got just 1lb of 8133 and for fun might load up some light bullets to see how they do.
Anyone try H4350 in 7mm STW?

H4350 is too fast. 4831 is even too fast. H1000 on up is the way to go.
I really like Retumbo, H50BMG, US 869 and RE33.

Cheers.

I agree but what's odd is this article. The guy talks 4350 in 7mm STW and this is a major gun publication

Well, I read that article and obviously he doesn't know a thing.
As bore size DECREASES and case size INCREASES, the BEST powders are those in the slower end of the table.
This all has a direct relationship with Bore Ratio. Which is how much volume in cross sectional area the barrel has in relation to cartridge size.
The only thing that article stated was that according to ONE manual, H4350 gave the smallest ES. This would have changed if the test was done in a different barrel or test facility.
It is handicapping the cartridge using such a fast powder, and as case size increases so does the burn rate.
Heavily compressed charges do a similar thing, they slow the burn even further, but this is not touted about generally in fear that people will increase the charge weight and blow themselves up. A gentle curve under MAP is where precision loads occur.

Cheers.

Last edited:
4350 in a 7stw is not really much different than my Pops using 4064 with 100gr. hornady pills for a couple of decades in multiple 243 rifles. A slightly faster than normal burn will calm things down at the muzzle (a lot of factory bbl's don't have great crowns) and still deliver relatively decent velocity, enough case fill to be stable muzzle up/down, and be a bit more economical than a full case powder. I'm not saying it is optimal, but it can/will work with a bit of effort. I currently use h4895 with 100 gr. sierra pills in my 25wssm; it is a bit slow (just over 3K) but shoots dang well even though we are only at 80% or so case fill.