H335 recipie for .308 and 168 gr moly coats

4ked Horn

My buddy (Dave in Idaho) wants me to shoot match grade ammo so bad that he went out and bought me a box of 168 gr hornady HPBT moly coated match bullets. (BTW thanks again dave.)

I have no interest in loading anything other than Hodgdon H335. The max published load in the hodgdon manual is 42 grains for a regular jacket.

Does anyone have knoledge of a published recipie for molys and H335 or advice on a possible new max load to work up to?

Horn, While H335 will goes through your powder measure like $&@! through a goose, I think if you called Hodgdon they would recommend Varget all the way @ around 46gr. you won't get better accuracy from the moly bullets just maybe a hair less pressure and when you start shooting them molys it might take a few more shots before they settle down into one group. Not that Varget measures poorly through a measure, I'll get +or-.2gr. with it, which is negligible, But BL-C(2) is an excellent powder for 308 which will measure perfectly through your measure, If thats the reason you want to stick with H335. It gives a hair more Vel. too. Just my .02. J
cool.gif

[ 03-19-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

[ 03-19-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

I know you have some BL-C(2) floating around....if you can find it in your mess! Anyway, Hogdon's web site says 47.0 gr max, velocity 2754. that is for a 168gr hpbt.

Just giving you a bad time Joe.
grin.gif

Thanks Jay. Your 2c is appreciated

I emailed Hodgdon tec help and they sais that H380 was the closest ball powder to what varget is. Might give that a try. Might try varget... Maybe.

My biggest reason for using H335 is that 1 it meters nicely and 2 it is compatable with my .223, .243, and .308. I can buy one powder and get the drops for one powder and bullet combo for each gun. I suppose that I could switch it all over to varget.

Mostly what I am looking for and probably diddn't say it well is this. If my max load for regular bullets is 42 gr od H335 then what might my max load be with the same powder and moly bullets. Trying to compare apples with apples.

Gone hunting again. Well what do you know? I thought this site was supposed to be experts teaching the beginners. Seems I must be wrong.

Just giving you a bad time (dork)
tongue.gif

Horn, I've tried 50gr. H380 for a 165gr Hor. awhile back, 52 being the max. but you really have to pack that bullet in there with the max load, but I did get pretty good accuracy with it, 3/4" @100 I believe it was, from a 700V, but if you don't care about fitting the round in your mag.(single shot) seat the bullet about .010' off the lands like I said before and the bullet won't be so packed in there so tight, which I guess really don't hurt nothing, as long as it goes in. As far as using moly bullets, never used'em but from what I hear you might try .25-.5gr increments once you get to the regular max. and watch for pressure signs, sticky bolt will be your first indication, flattened primers, etc. Oh, by the way Varget will work REALLY well in 223 and 243 as well, I use it for '06' 6mmRem. 308, 223, 22-250, 708 with outstanding results. Jay

4ked Horn,
Are you still researching loads! How bout you load some and go shoot some groups! If I'd have known this I would have just givin' you the bullets, loaded already. I will be visitin' soon and I want to go shoot! Break down and buy some Varget ya tite @#$! Compare and pick the best load so we can do some serious blastin. If I show up in April and your still deciding I will disown you and speak badly about you in church.
Ha! Good Luck, Dave.

4ked Horn,
Are you still researching loads! How bout you load some and go shoot some groups! If I'd have known this I would have just givin' you the bullets, loaded already. I will be visitin' soon and I want to go shoot! Break down and buy some Varget ya tite @#$! Compare and pick the best load so we can do some serious blastin. If I show up in April and your still deciding I will disown you and speak badly about you in church.
Ha! Good Luck, Dave.

Big Al is going to share some varget with me to see what happens.
grin.gif

That tight@$$ you refered to was tightened by the wife. Dude, we're broke.
frown.gif

OH, Check your email and see what I found about moly coat bullets.
shocked.gif

Al and I are going out sunday A.M. Call me.
smile.gif

Thanks Jay. It is sounding like I am just going to have to experiment a little just like every other load. Was hoping to save a little time with a published recipie but the powder makers dont seem to like goobering up their high$$$ test barrels woth moly.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. Gonehuntingagain and Dave in idaho should follow your example on offering polite and useful information on this fine forum.

Horn, What I usually do is take the max load and subtract 2-3 grains of powder in a 308 size case and work up in increments of 1/2gr. It takes a little more time but you want make sure your loads are safe. Let us all know by posting your accuracy results, I'm curious, you should get around 3/8 or less if your barrel is pretty descent. What kind of rifle you using, anyway? Jay
cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.