H110 357mag loads

dogbuster0006

From what I can gather 13 or so grains of h110 is a suitable for moderate 357 load behind 158 xtp. Don't quote me on the exact number I don't have the data in front of me. I've found info of this being perfectly suitable and other saying it's absolutely not.
Anyone here tried this combo or have some insight? It's no big deal to get a different powder but I picked up a bunch for loading 460 smith in an encore and would like to try it out.
Ruger gp100 so I'm not "too" concerned about blowing it up I know these guns will take a beating and be fine. I don't want anything dangerous and of course will work up to the best combo but I'm worried about starting off too low that's where I've read you have issues.

I've got everything for the 460. And had a recipe in mind. I was wondering about using the h110 for loading my 357 as well. Instead of buying different powder.

H110 will work well for your 357. You are on the very bottom end of that powder. Low loads can be as bad as to high. Download the Complete Reloading Manual for 357 and take a look. I use WW 296 which is a sister powder to H110. If you want moderate loads shoot 38+P

dogbuster -

Howdy !

The minimum charge of WW296 (H-110 same stuff ) Winchester used to publish in the re-loading pamphlet was 14.5gr and SP Magnum primer, under a 158gr SWC.

It has been my favorite .357Mag load for 40+yr. It has shot superbly in S & W "N"-frames of 4, 5, and 6".... and also in a Marlin M1894SC .357Mag .

With regards,
357Mag

Thanks for the info I just wanted to verify from a couple different sources. My Nosler manual is the same, hopefully the ole gal likes that load too.

H110 really likes to be loaded towards the top end. I used to use it a lot but after some squibs in cold weather with mag primers I switched to 2400...

Thanks for the advice guys, I loaded some rounds up just waiting for the right time to go play. Seems if the wind isn't blowing 20mph its cold and raining or I'm drafted to work overtime and get home in the dark.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.