H1000 vs H4831

Jay Kyle

Ok I'm confused, I'm about to work up a load for the 200gr Accubonds in my 300 Win Mag and don't know which powder to use.

I do like the Hodgdon powder for their temp stability as I'm doing a load workup in 80F weather but hunt in 10F weather.

I read that a number of knowledgeable folks here feel the H1000 is right for the bullet weight. And to back that up a load setup with H1000 would produce a lower peak pressure (read less throat erosion) than H4831 for the same mv.

But on the flip side H4831 is considered the standard 300 Win Mag powder, not only that but Nosler recommends it as the accuracy load for their 200gr Partition loads. Also the NC 1000yd club seems to use it more than the H1000. FYI When I called Nosler for load info on the 200gr Accubonds they said it is the same as the 200gr Partition.

So if anyone cares to shed some light on the subject I'd appreciate it.

AB
confused.gif

[ 08-05-2003: Message edited by: AlbertaBound ]

I am not sure that H1000 will contribute to less throat erosion. Presumably you will be burning MORE powder and that may offset the lower pressure theory.
confused.gif

As far as choosing between the two powders, your rifle will most likely display a preference for one over the other. In my experience shooting magnum cartridges, the sloooowest powders are not usually the MOST accurate in a given cartridge. However, they will usually produce the highest velocity and may still be plenty accurate enough for hunting big game.
If you can, try both than choose.
VH

AB, I'd think the more powder you burn, the more throat erosion your going to have, and since your using Nosler bullets, I'd go with their accuracy load, you could also call Hodgdon and see what powder gave them the most ballistic uniformity, 1-800-622-4366, I see H1000 only gave 50fps more than H4831 in my Hodgdon manual. Just my .02 cents, Jay

i'd say try them both and see. one is probably going to work better than the other. i havent tried the 4831, but have shot the h1000 with the 200 accubonds from my 300rum, and the combo shot rather nicely.

-brian

I picked up a good thread over at www.24hourcampfire.com, fellow named Ken Howell in the 'Ask the Gunwriters' forum had a long thread about how it is pressure and temperature over time that cause throat erosion. Since the time the bullet is in the barrel is somewhat constant between the different powders, the only thing left is peak pressure which is related to temperature, the higher the temp the more metal is eroded. As I understand the peak temp is above the melting point of the barrel metal, but it occurs so fast that there is little time to melt (erode) the barrel.

What was really interesting in the thread is that he goes on to logically talk about how his preferred pressure he loads to is around 50,000 psi, rather than the 60k psi at the SAAMI max.

So back to the powder issue .. I would imagine that loading for accuracy over velocity is the appropriate method, though are we talking about splitting hairs or is there a big difference.

AB

jay,
the h4831 is faster burning i believe, and is why its listed for lighter rounds. although my working load isnt with h1000, it still shot 200gr accubonds and smk's well. if nothing else, i'd say its worth a try.

-brian

AB,
I have been shooting the 200 Accubonds for a few months now in .300 Win and Ultra. I tried H-1000 and 4831 but got my best accuracy with H-4350. You might consider trying it also - my rifle shoots 65-66 grains but you could work up to that.
Good luck.

Often the powder that's the MOST acurate at shorter ranges is the powder that is a bit faster, and ensures complete burning before the bullet leaves the barrel. The reasoning is that the bullet get buffetted by the "blow-by" of the powder gases as it leaves the muzzle, and the faster powders have lower pressures at the end of the barrel and hence less "blow-by".

At longer ranges velocity becomes a bit more important to maintain through winds, and hence more emphasis on slower powders. You'll also see that along with the slower powders people go to longer barrels to ensure complete combustion of the powder.

Make sense?

Mark in Utah

Make sense?

Noted that the military settled on the reloader series, Re22 in particular, for their A191 loads for the sniper rifles...gave the most consistant velocities and pressures over the widest range of temperature variations as well a keeping pressures within the SAAMI specs.

FMP,
I heard that part of the decision to switch to that powder was the fact that Alliant Industries is now operating the army's ammo plant in Utah and naturally want to use their own powder. Alliant Industries is a huge conglomerate that happens to share the name Alliant with a powder comany that they happen to own. Regardless, it is no doubt very good stuff.

I've been playing with my 300 win Mag and the 220SMk's. I've tried RE 22, IMR 7828, H1000 and Retumbo now. So far my gun likes the H1000/75.0 grains, win cases, Fed 215M primers. Just shot 9/16" group at 200 yards (three shots) last weekend. The velocity spread was 2 for the three shots. This is a factory winchester rifle. Velocity 2689 at 70 degrees.
I thing I'm done with the load testing, now going to move out to the 1000 yard range and test some more for groups.

One of the top 1000 yard shooters last 4 years shoots a 300 win, 210 Berger and H4831 and wins more than his share of matches and national titles, so 4831 is a highly accurate powder with 200 gr bullets in the 300 Win mag.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.