H1000 or Retumbo

Your original context was hunting.

As such, Shawn Carlock or someone put forth the notion that he won't shoot unless he'd be completely amazed that he didn't make the kill.

I think that's a pretty good measure. Hence, MOA is perhaps good enough in some cases and sub par in others. i.e. depends on what you're hunting and how far

Plinking doesn't really matter, and competition usually requires half that or better.

That said, it's also important to hit what you're aiming at. A rifle may shoot tight groups. But, you have to be able to put the first shot in the kill zone.

-- richard

That is a pretty good way to explain it. Never really thought of it that way. I tend to be pretty conservative on my shot selection these days I guess. That may behoove me well when it comes into getting more long range. I have shot 1 animal over 400yds in my life, but that was with a non-long range setup, factory ammo, half #$% optics. But it only takes on kill to make me want to do more of it. With that said, I want to be more confident in what I am doing. I kinda have a plot in my head about how I am going to accumulate the proper equipment and skills over time. I say "over time" because lets be honest, toys are expensive these days. By the time you put on a good long range scope, work up a good load, have a good range finder and a wind meter, and practice, it's not unreal to put a 3k or so into it. I am so excited to get to that point though that it is tough. I won't have everything together by this fall and it is gonna kill me to have a chance to shoot soemthing at long range that I won't be able to do because I am not ready/setup for it. But that's the side of being a hunter that make us responsible. Like you stated, if you don't think you are goign to be gutting it after your shot, you probably shouldn't take it.

I'm using Retumbo 71gr with a 168 Berger in a 7Mag. ES is 12 and I have two groups at 200 yds that are .361 outside to outside. I could not get the H1000 to come close. The measured velocity is 2977 and I'm at 2600 feet EL. Hope this helps. By the way, when I switched to Federal magnum Match primers it all came together.
I had same results, using this combination with Nosler brass.

Michael,

Blkdog is still around. Just checked his profile and it said last seen Jan 11 2022.

I have also had good results with Retumbo and 168s in the 7 Rem Mag. Helped three friends use same powder and all rifles including mine responded with excellent velocity and accuracy.

Incidentally Hodgdon has a glitch in their load data site. They added some new powders Accurate and Ramshot to their lineup. BUT with the 168 gr load they somehow removed all the other powders that are listed for the other bullet weights:
  • H1000
  • H4350
  • H4831
  • Hybrid 100V
  • Retumbo

I shoot the 168 Berger with H1000 and have very good luck The only gun I have that likeS Retumbo is my 300 RUM

I am using retumbo in a 28 nosler and it works great. Especially if you are shooting a longer barrel. I am running a 26" barrel and shooting 180's right at 3000fps.

No two barrels or the assembled combination of cartridge components are the same or behave the same when used together. If you want to know which propellant better fulfills your performance demands they must be tested in your rig with your other chosen components. The findings of BubbaBill in Oshkosh or BuffaloHunter1369 in Saskatchewan may be similar to your or entirely different. Enjoy the tinkering but stay focused on it's purpose: the hunt.