H1000 or Retumbo with New 168/175 LR Accubonds?

gamehawker

I have a Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW (actually two of them) and am looking for help with a load.

I have been reloading this past year with 140 gr. AB with 85.5 gr. H1000 and had really good results with low ES/ED, nice velocity (3,450 fps) and tight groupings (less than 1/2 MOA)

I am excited about the new Long Range Accubonds and I plan on buying the 168/175 gr. for my 7mm STWs.

Though I've had good results with H1000 for the 140 gr. Accubonds I've heard that Retumbo is better for heavier bullets, i.e., above 160 gr.

What's the best powder out of these two in these bullet weights (168/175 gr.)?

TIA

Not to over simplify, but from what I've experienced, if you're looking for the best accuracy, use H1000. If you're looking for the highest velocity, use Retumbo. But every gun is different. You'll have to test both.

I use a fairly stiff charge of Retumbo in my STW using the 168gr LRX bullets, and I haven't tried h1000 in it yet. I have a pound of h1000 for the 338 edge, and I can't get anymore for a while to be able to experiment with the STW. I think either will be fine, as their burn rates are really close

Give them both a try and report your results. Either powder is capable of producing extremely accurate loads. Both powders have their strong suits. H1000 leans more toward consistency with decent velocity and Retumbo leans more toward velocity with decent consistency.

You don't really have any LR Accubonds yet do you? And if you do, rubbing it in is OK as long as you tell us where you got them. I thought us earth mortals had at least two or more months before we could get them.

I shoot 168 vld hunting with retumbo out of 7wsm has been very accurate.

You might consider trying RL-33 with the heavier 175 bullet.

I just put together a 7mm/375 Ruger. RL-33 and a moly coated 180 VLD got up to 3125 fps but accuracy was with 86 gr for 3075 fps. This if from a 23 1/4" barrel!

Based on shooting RL-33 in several other chamberings it doesn't do that well with lighter bullets but it might do okay with a 168.

Why use RL-33? Because it available. I can't find Retumbo. FYI RL-33 is slower than Retumbo. Just ordered my second 8 lbs of RL-33 yesterday, March 3.

Well I got some Nosler Accubond Long Range 168 gr bullets coming in for my Sendero 7mm STWs. I have a lot of H1000 but very little Retumbo. Hopefully the H1000 works well or I'll have to go searching for some Reumbo.

To spin this topic back up, does anyone have a good load recipe for 150-grain (or 168-grain) Nosler Accubond LRs for 7RM? The load data books do not show H1000 or Retumbo as options and those are my "go-to" powders. Thanks in advance for sharing. I am hoping these Tangent ogive bullets are a bit more forgiving on the sweet spot wrt to seating depth than my 168-grain Berger VLD-H. Once I found the sweet spot with Bergers, I am getting sub 1/4 MOA groups consistently.

Last edited:
For the STW guys I worked up a Retumbo load for my 28 Nosler that had a 3 full grain node. Range of three full grains in the same hole. With all my RUM's or the other Jeffrey cases I always use Retumbo because the burn rate is so much cooler than H1000, it just has to extend the life of the throat and I shoot a lot. I can shoot 5- rds of Retumbo and still have a cooler barrel temp than just 2- rds of H1000 with similar velocity load. For the Super Guns Retumbo is my go to powder. I know some times its hard to find but RedRiverReloading.com has always been able to find 8 pounders for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.