H1000...6.5x284

Wachsmann

So my question is has anyone ever tried to use H1000 in there 6.5? ..I'm shooting the 140 VLD berger and I am going to use some mag primers in the load to see what I get. I know using the Retumbo load would yield the most velocity for this round but I have a custom turret made for a load that I developed but I did not relize the powder used was not temp stable. I'm just tring to find an alternative load with temp stable powder. 4831 and 4350 did not get me to the velocity I was trying to achieve...(2845)...I tried the retumbo and it seem to have some higher ES with reduced loads. my current load of HV100 showed an ES of 12 to 14fps. I was hoping I could get there with the H1000 since its a little faster burning powder than retumbo but in the berger book it shows that at the max load they stopped out was 55.5 yielding something around 2800 FPS with 99% load density. So for me I have some test rounds with mag primers but I have backed off the loads some what. Figured the mag primer will give better burn of the powder but I also know it will increase pressure as well so thats why I backed off. I was just wondering if anyone else had done the same or similar to see what kind of data they got. Any info would be appreciated...Thanks. Gun is savage 6.5x284 24 inch barrel.

So you originally used H100V ? And had temperature issues ?

I have both H100V and 4350 and am still doing load development with 140 VLD's and Hornady 140 Amax. I worked up to 48gr of 4350 today and with the Bergers got outstanding results at 48gr. No pressure signs yet, so will bump it up some more. The Hodgdon website lists 45gr being the max load for 4350 so I am already 3gr over that. I'm using CCI 200 large rifle primers. I don't have a chrono so can't offer velocity comparisons.

I didn't try H1000 myself, use Retumbo for **** near everything else, so worked up my 6.5x284 load in Retumbo as well... mine is 57.3 grains, fed215 match primers and lapua brass avg-3089fps out of a 27" Benchmark with ES from single digit to 12.. pretty much convinced the 12's were coming from brass that hadn't had flash-holes de-burred* Either way, that load is one of the best I've ever batched-up (for any one of my rifles)

The only thing I do have for a complaint about the Retumbo in the 6.5x284 is that the barrel is like patching out a chimney-pipe when cleaning, haha! Black as Black can be.. whether it's not fully burning or what, I don't know, but it shoots awsome-- I ain't changing.

57.3 is compressed** Also is the first load I've ever encountered as "compressed" in my rifles. That "crunch" is something that puts the nerves on alert when you first feel it!!! ha! Am told it's nothing to worry about though, supposedly common in alot of smaller-capacity cases and "today's" powders..

So you originally used H100V ? And had temperature issues ?

I have both H100V and 4350 and am still doing load development with 140 VLD's and Hornady 140 Amax. I worked up to 48gr of 4350 today and with the Bergers got outstanding results at 48gr. No pressure signs yet, so will bump it up some more. The Hodgdon website lists 45gr being the max load for 4350 so I am already 3gr over that. I'm using CCI 200 large rifle primers. I don't have a chrono so can't offer velocity comparisons.

Yep...So I went out with the same load H100V that I developed back in the winter/spring (I'm in Utah so it was on average around 40 to 50 degrees during development) and shot them at about 85 degrees and had a 100fps velocity change and my load was shooting about .8 to 1.2 inches and was way off at 600yards. So this is why I am somewhat looking for a more stable powder...But I have my turret built around 2845fps...new turret will cost another 100 bones or I could try the cheaper tape on ones I seen that are advertised on this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.