H-S Precision

Brown Dog,

I also looked into the HS and came to the same conclusion. IMHO HS have chosen a really rubbish outfit to import being a mobile number only with no real back up. For that extra cash you're not even going to get any warranty back up and should anything go wrong it's back to the US. The issue is not rip off Britain but having to use an importer rather than HS precision direct.

I'd add one thing. I've been shooting my HTR in 7mm Rem Mag for a few years now. Averages </=0.5 MOA. But...every time a case is ejected there's a small jagged scratch up near the shoulder...seems like there's a little metal burr that they missed.

MD

Now that you mention it I recall my HS rifle leaving a reamer mark at the shoulder too. I believe what they did was to stop the reamer in the chamber without backing it off first. The mark on my brass was straight up the case just at the shoulder then diagonally across the shoulder... made a good counter for the number of times the brass was fired in that chamber, just cound the marks!

Didn't seem to effect accuracy, just a "character mark" on the brass.

Some times those scratches on the case come from the plunger ejector pushing the case against a corner of the locking recesses that is not deburred properly.

Use your finger to probe around and see if you can find a sharp corner.

All of the case marking I have seen that came from the chamber went around the circumference of the case. Scratches along the axis come from the above-mentioned problem and occur during extraction.

I don't know if this is the case with either of these rifles but it is certainly something to investigate.

If you think the scratches do come from the chamber post a picture if you can as I would like to see it. I always like new problems.

Els, I too am thinking of one of a HS Precision but a varmint in 6.5-284 for long range high seat deer. I have so far been put off by the high cost of our sole importer in the UK. I am investigating ways of importing one myself direct to an RFD here. If you are friendly with a local gunshop who imports it may be a way forwards for you. I certainly do not relish giving a middleman £3-£400 profit for a paper exercise and nop discernable back up. I considered an RPA as well but they are too heavy and the HS has a certain look about it doesn't it?

Give the guys at the Riflestore a chance, they haven't been operating long, what i'd do is have a chat with them. work out first what you think it would cost you to import a HS rifle, work out what you think you are prepared to pay for having some one import it for you, and then try to deal with them, make them aware that you are prepared to deal but prepared to go it alone if you get no joy, remember that they are running a business and have to live of what they make on selling to you,see what you come up with, worth a try. don't forget that it is likely HS won't sell to anyone in the UK as they now have a distributor there and part of that agreement will be that they don't undermine eachothers operations.
Me, well i would purchase the thing in the USA, or have a friend purchase it, id get the cerial number entered onto my licence and then i would go over and pick the thing up, carry it back avoiding all customs as the rifle is already mine since the number is on my license..
sorted. Pete

I phoned the Riflestore the other day and spoke to Mike Norris , an extremely knowledgeable chap , and so he should be , he used to be a Royal Marine sniper ! he gave me an hour of his time on the phone , and not many do that these days. Anyway I'm off up to look at the H-S precisions as soon as Mike gets them back from the proof house , he 16 H-S Precision rifles so he is certainly worth a visit Andy Mass . I don't have a problem paying over the odds for goods , however i would expect a no hassle after sales service that is second to none.

Nice thinking Pete Lincoln , i may have a look into that approach.

Thanks for the advice Pete, not sure if that would be strictly legal in UK though?
The Riflestore sounds like an option and I will get in touch with them to see what they can do. I hear what you say about people having to run a business but I really don't like being ripped off, at the current exchange rate a basic HS equates to £1117.00 and I really don't like the idea of paying nearly double that for what in effect is someone to fillout an export application and freight charges. I would like to hear of what you think Els when you visit the Riflestore and have a look at the HS. I'm not desperate at the moment, but will be seriously looking in the Autumn.

Import duties alone would be £245 at 17.5% VAT and 4% import duty. As for the shipping i can only imagine a 11lbs rifle will cost at least £200 , i have just sent a Night force scope back to the US weighing 2lbs with a cost of £55 . They also need to be proofed at £..? , so i'm not sure the Riflestore are going to make the amount you think Andy . Anyway , i'll let you know what happens . If you are close to West Sussex Andy you are more than welcome to come and have a look , that is of course if i get one.

Just so its clear. I have no vested interested in promoting the Riflestore. I have exchanged emails with Mike ref the rifle store possibly importing the SWS 2000 ( now that rifle is worth a look at, the web site could use some work but i have played with some of the prototypes and i have given advice to the company on what they need to do to field a fully capable sniper weapons system on based on this rifle. (www.sws2000.de) However, Mike is a friend of a friend of mine and my friend says that Mike is an ok, straight guy, and the word of my friend is as good as they come.
It seems to me that by the time we get anything from the USA to Europe we can just exchange the $ for a pounds sign. now that would seem to add up as the HS rifles run between $1900 and $2100 ish..:taking $2000 as a figure for the cost in the USA
so we start with 1110 GBP. add postage. 50 GBP = 1160GBP, + 10 % import duty = 1276 GBP + 17.5% VAT(223.30 GBP) = 1499.30GBP. + postage tp proof house, proof and return. another 30 to 50 GBP = 1540GBP ish. + telephone calls to from the USA another 10 quid 1550 GBP. + an hour of Mikes time 20 = 1570. i bet i have forgotten some charges, but they have to pay over heads for premises, electric,income tax etc etc,but i figure they are making probably about 250 quid on a rifle, a little more if they get a good trade deal. call it 300.
If we take a Remington 700 PSS price in the states and then take what they cost in the UK we find exactly the same mark up. If it makes you feel any better, The Duke, which is the gun shop importing HS into Germany are charging 4200euro (2800 GBP) for the tactical take down and 3500euro(2332GBP) for the sporting rifle. which is a good 400 quid more than i figure the rifle store are after.
I know i could personaly import a rifle to germany by getting the serial number on my ticket and just picking it up. I also know that the gun laws for hunters here in germany are a bit more sensible than they are in the UK, but we here have to do a compulsary hunters course that costs between 1000 - 2000 GBP and takes up to 8 months of evening school and weekend classes.
anyway.. make your own minds up, if you are happy with the price.. ok.. but a decent service counts for a lot and i would rather pay a little more and have good service.. i will certainly never buy from the sportsmans gun center again, once bitten twice shy.
Pete

---------------------------------------------
anyway.. make your own minds up, if you are happy with the price.. ok.. but a decent service counts for a lot and i would rather pay a little more and have good service.. i will certainly never buy from the sportsmans gun center again, once bitten twice shy.
Pete
---------------------------------------------

I'm with you all the way on that one Pete , even the Sportsmans remark , I've been there and done that !
Many thanks for your input .

Els you are welcome.. i used to know a bloke called Garry at sportsmans, when he was there the place was A OK, but since he went, its gone to rat dung. i once ordered 3200 GBP worth of kit off em,the billed my credit card straight away, i get messed around for nearly 4 months, recieve no kit, get lied to, fobbed off. the threat of legal action finaly got the cash back, after i had basicaly lent them 3 grand for 4 months..
I am lucky i guess, i build my own rifles, usualy on Remington actions, ive all the tools and machines to do it, have lots of smithing experience and i am glad i don't have to let some one else do all my smithing and take my chances with thier skill and pay thier mortgage. I have good contacts in the game and i can get some good prices on some good kit and i know when my leg is bieng lifted and when i'm bieng ripped off. If i can help some one with anything gun related i'm happy to do so. I don't pretend to know everything however.. HS are nice rifles, so are some others. a rifle that you are happy with and have confidence in will make you shoot better, it doesn't matter if it was a hundred quid cheaper or more expensive than the next guys stick, if you are happy with it and know how to use it effectively then it is the best you can buy.
Pete

Pete / Els re your last posts, I spoke to the chaps at The Riflestore today and was impressed by the depth of knowledge and explanation for the cost of a HS. I hope to view the product at the Midland this year and will if I still am impressed be ordering one at the end of the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.