• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

H&R ultra slug hunter

jimmy31593

Looking for an H&R ultra slug hunter. Will take 12ga or 20ga. Preferably one of each.

Man good luck. I have a few but man do they shoot to dang good to get rid of. Bought my last one from a little shop in NC. Most accurate slug gun I've ever had and I've tried about everything

I have the 20Ga thumbhole version. I loaned it to my buddy this fall and he put a one shot stop on a 160ish 12 point at 123 yards. Hornady Super Performance slugs. It is a legit 3" gun to 200. I bought it new and at the time thought the Nikon slug hunter would be worth a try. I hated it at first, but the erector has held up and the circles in the reticle are actually right on the nutz.

That's the same experience I have had with mine.
You should try the 3" accutips I got great groups with hornady but the accutips produced even better groups and seem to be much better bullet for closer shots that hit solid bone. It shoot out to 300 on my range but farthest shot on game was 178 on a nice ten in Illinois. Placed it right on front shoulder and he went straight to the ground. I figured not to bad of shot for just ya ring the rail on my blind as a test. He picked his head up one time and I decided to put another in him for good measure. Wasn't needed but I figured I didn't want to risk him getting up. Never know if Buck fever got you in that moment. Lol both shots were perfect and second was definitely not needed . Love these HR's

Jimmy I was in the same boat you are a few years back just after H&R stopped making them. I had a Browning Abolt slug gun and a Savage 220 at the time and several of the areas we had that were highly populated with deer became shotgun only. The Savage 220 was an accurate slug gun the magazine and bolt cycle were lame and it went down the road. The A Bolt 12 gauge will knock your teeth out with recoil.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on A Thompson Center Prohunter 20 gauge and I have been more than pleased with it shoots as good as the 220 did its lighter and has 4" more barrel. I harvested a 120 pound on the hoof whitetail at 125-150 it literally walked 20 feet and dropped. This along with 30 or so more deer over the last few seasons has got me thinking happy thoughts about my decision.

Just thought you might be interested in another option. EABCO has all the parts you need and you can by all the parts to accurize as well. I epoxy bedded the rail on mine and installed one of their locker hinge pins camouflaged butt stock and fore end and that's it. I can't recall total cost but they have sales all the time and it was less than the 7 or 800 you'll probably ay for the discontinued H&R.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

That's for the info guys. Definitely want an h&r. They're nostalgic. Traditional blueing and wood stocks. Have a few offers at the moment so hopefully not too much longer until 1 is happily in my safe.