H&R Twist rate?

BlackKnight755

My son has a H&R Ultra Varmit rifle in 243 cal. It likes the lighter stuff like the 55 grain balistic tip but it will start to string them all over the place if you go any higher than like 95 grain. I am looking for some help as far as twist rate so I will know what to load and where to start. (Maybe a different rifle).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. BK.

Well I can't tell you the twist ,but its real easy to figure out. Take your cleaning rod with a jag on the end and put a patch on it so you have a good fit in the bore. Insert the patched jag into the breech and engage the rifling,make ,then take a marker and draw a mark on the rod where it goes into the breech,then draw a straight line on one side of the rod abou 15 inches long, now with the line on the rod facing up push the rod into the barrel and watch as the line turns with the rifling, when the line is again facing up make another mark and then measure the distance between the two , that will give you a very close idea of your rifles twist..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.