H&R Rifles

Wachsmann

Has anyone had experience with the H&R rifles. I seen a few that were cheap at Calela's. Looking at a 243 for a varmit/something the wife can shoot. I prefer a bolt action but it would be something she could start shooting at some distance besides my 22. Thanks.

Wachsmann,
I just bought the exact rifles you are taking about for my boys to start hunting with. I bought the package deal w/ scope and mounts. Looking at the pricing the bare rifle was only $30 cheaper than one with the scope and mounts. I don't expect the scope to last long but I'm money ahead with the extra $30 with the rings, mounts, and a scope.
We just shot them this past weekend for the first time and no complaints. Not tack drivers but never expected them to be. Triggers aren't too bad. I bought the youth buttstock from H&R and squirreled away the full length stocks for when they grow into them.
Nice thing about these rifles is that if you by them in a rifle configuration you can go back to H&R and get a shotgun or muzzleloader barrels for them also for something like $86 for the ML and $60?? for a shotgun barrel.

bottom-line: I would spend the money again. I really like the single shot rifle to teach my boys with. Though I'm a die-hard accuracy guy and love accurate bolt guns. Quality and accuracy are very acceptable for beginners and short range hunting. They jsut aren't much to look at with the plain jane hardwood stocks.

Steve

I bought an -06 for my son when he started hunting. Huge mistake!!! You couldn't hit the ground in three tries. I have friends who own them in 223 and 243 and love them. I know a guy whit one in 280 and he hates it.

My pure speculation is that the rounds that throw heavier bullets faster, 30-06, 280, maybe 308, torque the action as the bullet travels down the barrel. (stop me when I get too technical) After lots of trying with the -06 I finally got a load to shoot into about 3 1/2" at 100 yards. Great.

When I bought that gun I had great plans for; I was going to make it mine; then I shot it, change of plans. I couldn't give it away fast enough.

I guess long story short; if you are getting the 243, I have heard good things just stay away from the bigger calibers.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I bought an -06 for my son when he started hunting. Huge mistake!!! You couldn't hit the ground in three tries. I have friends who own them in 223 and 243 and love them. I know a guy whit one in 280 and he hates it.

My pure speculation is that the rounds that throw heavier bullets faster, 30-06, 280, maybe 308, torque the action as the bullet travels down the barrel. (stop me when I get too technical) After lots of trying with the -06 I finally got a load to shoot into about 3 1/2" at 100 yards. Great.

When I bought that gun I had great plans for; I was going to make it mine; then I shot it, change of plans. I couldn't give it away fast enough.

I guess long story short; if you are getting the 243, I have heard good things just stay away from the bigger calibers.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.