H 570, 25 pounds of it.

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Sometimes the absurdity of life leaves me questioning the sense of any of it. A few days ago I spent $70.00 fora single pound of VV560 powder. This gives me pause. I remember paying .28 cents a pound for a fifty pound keg of 4831 from Gopher Shooter Supply long ago. ($14.70, if I remember right)
Then today, a friend gave me a 25 lb keg of H570. I don't even know if there is data for reloading this powder anymore and we are building a long barrelled .338 Winchester magnum and I have a feeling an awful lot of this powder will be poured in those cases.
Does anyone have factual data concerning this powder, especially for the 2 1/2" magnum case?

Thanks

Im sure I do in an older hodgdon manual but it is packed away in a box in storage while we wait for our house to be built. It also has data on the old H-450, my favorite powder in 270W. I'll scrounge around and see if I can find it

1966 edition
896D43C1-EFEA-48E1-892B-BC8014C3A279.jpeg
70BD5565-19EC-4D8A-B21A-30B8CB783598.jpeg

Great info from an old Speer book. I remember seeing this book long ago. Apparently this old,powder can be used to fill large cases with heavier bullets quite effectively. Great insight!
Since receiving 300 cases, quite a few bullets, I have sufficient primers, and now all this powder, once this rifle project is completed the priority with me using this powder will be locating 250-300 grain bullets to enjoy shooting without "breaking the bank".
Thank you very much.

Speer No. 3 and No. 9 do not list 2400 for 222 Mag.
Am I right on how it would be listed ? I see in my Sierra, V loading book, they list 2400 powder. But don't specify which manufacturer. I am new to reloading. So I am trying to clarify before I take something for granite. And blow my ugly mug off. lol
I have seen on internet it had been used for 22 Hornet, pistol calibers & straight wall rifle. But no load data posted. I will keep my eyes open for old reloading books. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
To M1A1Abrams,
welcome to reloading, and you are right in pursuing correct data cautiously. When you locate a source of data for this fast burning 2400, use the minimum and no lower, and then proceed adding in small amounts such as .3 of a grain. Primers and extraction can be keys as to pressure. flattened primers means you are reaching maximum loads. Carefully measuring with a dial caliper ahead of the solid base ( establish that by measuring down from the mouth of the case to the inside base) both before firing and after. As soon as you hit .001 expansion, stop and back off till you have no expansion because you have reached dangerous pressures that will make your cases last a short time and do your weapon no favors!

WW

Am I right on how it would be listed ? I see in my Sierra, V loading book, they list 2400 powder. But don't specify which manufacturer. I am new to reloading. So I am trying to clarify before I take something for granite. And blow my ugly mug off. lol
I have seen on internet it had been used for 22 Hornet, pistol calibers & straight wall rifle. But no load data posted. I will keep my eyes open for old reloading books. Thanks for your help.
Those 2 sources didn't list any 2400 powder.
BTW, It drives me crazy how old manuals don't list manufacturer (I get it under the circumstances) BUT then there is no easy source for who made what when and therefore be able to properly interpret old data. No manuf should label a powder with the same number as an older DIFFERENT powder. Period.

Those 2 sources didn't list any 2400 powder.
BTW, It drives me crazy how old manuals don't list manufacturer (I get it under the circumstances) BUT then there is no easy source for who made what when and therefore be able to properly interpret old data. No manuf should label a powder with the same number as an older DIFFERENT powder. Period.
That would surely help with people getting reliable load data. Or at least have a key like maps have to distinguish manufacturer & date of production.

In the 50's and sixties there were very few powder manufacturers-IMR Du Pont being prevelant and then Hodgdon appeared, Hercules and Norma was known but not common. Powders were so few that if you had a cartridge and it performed well you had a special combination (220 Swift and 4064 etc.) Lot numbers were a BIG deal until Vittavouri showed up and the rest of the industry had to scramble to achieve better uniformity.
Nowadays we live in a world where Science and health doubles its knowledge every 4 months. That's the pace presently. The increased economy has allowed for more leisure and spending has increased so that there is so much powder available several powder choices will work quite nicely in virtually every cartridge. Bullets have made signficant strides in uniformity and consistent expansion. Thus applying the standards nowadays to powders created long ago when things were much cruder simply is unrealistic. You could be using a perfectly good powder that was made at a time whena new automobile cost you less than $1,700.00
WW