H-4895 Powder - Anyone - Availability

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
The Hodgdon Story.
Bruce Hodgdon cut government red tape and soon owned 50,000 pounds of government surplus 4895. After WWII an old boxcar moved to a rented farm pasture served as the first magazine, the first one-inch ad placed in the American Rifleman, and Bruce was in business.
4895 was the powder that served the United States Military and won the war. This powder was used in almost every cartridge - not the 50 cal during the WWII.
Bruce Hodgdon started his empire with selling surplus 4895 which he sold for $30.00 for a 150lb keg.
I have used H-4895 in our .204 and .223 with GREAT success. I have not been able to purchase let alone even see any H-4895 for sale in the last few years.
Has anyone been able to purchase or even see H-4895 for sale anywhere???

Thanks
Len & Jill

I was lucky and bought a pound not long ago from here:

All the sites that have the powder that everyone seems to want lasts MAYBE 15 minutes tops.

I found only one pound November of last year to try in my 22-250. Haven't seen any since.

Not sure about the used in almost every WWII cartridge, after all there were a few 1911's 45ACP, and 30M1Carbines, being used back then to kill Japs and Germans. The Russians and Brits took out a few too with their stuff. Mostly M1Garand 30-06 has a system that likes H-4895 burn rate and pressures. Used quite a bit of Accurate 2495 and can't tell any difference in performance. Shoot what's available til she shows up again, good luck looking.

February was the last time we had it local. I have been able to find every powder out there in the last year but AR comp. That one is a ghost.

Attachments

• 20210212_185640.jpg
    20210212_185640.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
I bought a case of H4895 the beginning of Aug. Sold off to customers some, and "removed from stock" what I wanted. Its out there, but right now the powder manufacturers are producing propellants for the ammo companies to load factory ammo with, and H4895 must not be used much in factory ammo. As a side note, that 4895 that Bruce Hodgdon started his business with was made by Dupont Chemical and marketed as IMR (Improved Military Rifle). IMR4895 was the standard for all M2, with IMR4064 used as a 'back-up' if 4895 wasn't immediately available. "Hercules" was the other large propellant manufacturer at the time, which produced double based powders for use in .45ACP, 9MM, .38 Special and .30 Carbine

The Hodgdon Story.
Bruce Hodgdon cut government red tape and soon owned 50,000 pounds of government surplus 4895. After WWII an old boxcar moved to a rented farm pasture served as the first magazine, the first one-inch ad placed in the American Rifleman, and Bruce was in business.
4895 was the powder that served the United States Military and won the war. This powder was used in almost every cartridge - not the 50 cal during the WWII.
Bruce Hodgdon started his empire with selling surplus 4895 which he sold for $30.00 for a 150lb keg.
I have used H-4895 in our .204 and .223 with GREAT success. I have not been able to purchase let alone even see any H-4895 for sale in the last few years.
Has anyone been able to purchase or even see H-4895 for sale anywhere???

Thanks
Len & Jill
All I was looking for is some info why we don't see this powder anymore. When I said most WWII cartridges I should have said rifle cartridges. I would know someone would call me out on that. I also said not the 50 Cal. but a I see where someone said it was used in the M2. I can't imagine that fast of a powder used in a 50 cal.
Just would like to get my hands on a couple 8 pounders.

I have not seen the H version in over a year, but have seen IMR 4895 several times in the last few months. Both on line and at the LGS. I passed as I have a large supply of H 4895 on hand.

Current Hodgdon (rebranded) Powders made by ADI for Hodgdon AR2206H=H4895, so those guys are on covid lockdown, it might be a while. So many good or better options for that stuff!!

All I was looking for is some info why we don't see this powder anymore. When I said most WWII cartridges I should have said rifle cartridges. I would know someone would call me out on that. I also said not the 50 Cal. but a I see where someone said it was used in the M2. I can't imagine that fast of a powder used in a 50 cal.
Just would like to get my hands on a couple 8 pounders.
Guess I should have been more specific. I intended Ball M2, not the Browning M2 .50 Cal. machine gun. Ball M2 was/is the standard , military .30/06 load for the M1 Garand, BAR, 1903 & 03A3, the Johnson M1941 rifle and LMG, and M1919 .30 cal. machine gun. Further designated as AP, meaning anti personnel, not armor piercing. Standard loaded w/150g fmj and IMR4895. I figured anyone mentioning 4895 DoD surplus would know this. I figured wrong! Sorry! Don't know if you'll manage 2 8lb jugs. The wholesale suppliers I buy from have limits on how much of any 1 'flavor' I can buy at a time. I , and many others , limit our customers. I'd watch Hodgdons' reloading site, with links to powder sales, among all the other places. They'll sell ya' 2 when they have 'um in stock. As mentioned by 3chester, if it's made in AU it my be awhile.

Last edited:
Guess I should have been more specific. I intended Ball M2, not the Browning M2 .50 Cal. machine gun. Ball M2 was/is the standard , military .30/06 load for the M1 Garand, BAR, 1903 & 03A3, the Johnson M1941 rifle and LMG, and M1919 .30 cal. machine gun. Further designated as AP, meaning anti personnel, not armor piercing. Standard loaded w/150g fmj and IMR4895. I figured anyone mentioning 4895 DoD surplus would know this. I figured wrong! Sorry! Don't know if you'll manage 2 8lb jugs. The wholesale suppliers I buy from have limits on how much of any 1 'flavor' I can buy at a time. I , and many others , limit our customers. I'd watch Hodgdons' reloading site, with links to powder sales, among all the other places. They'll sell ya' 2 when they have 'um in stock. As mentioned by 3chester, if it's made in AU it my be awhile.
M2 ball is not or ever was the standard 30-06 service round. I was invented in 1939 as training ammo because the M1 ball in service that the M1 was developed for (173 grain) was overshooting the berms at National Guard bases. Standard issue WW II and Korea was M2 Armor piercing at 163 grains. National Match ammo (M72) used this M1 ball bullet until the 7.62X51 took over, but still using the 173 grain bullet in the M118 NM loading.

Recent Posts