H-450 load data

can26

I'm new here and hello to all. I was given 5 pounds of this powder H-450, I cant find any data at Hodgdon and little on searches except its a discontinued powder.
the powder is good, it smells fine no rot, its been sealed in these metal cans since 1960? or so, I want to try and use this stuff, I fired 5 shots with a 200 gr. cast bullet gas checked with 50 grs., no mag primer, used WLRs, shot POA at 50 yards
no problem, this data was in my Lee 30/06 die set, it said some dipper for 51.5 gr. so I just tried 50 grs.my rifle is a sport 1917 enfield eddystone, a little late to ask , but am I okay with this load? alot may not like CBs but its a poor mans big game bullet, I'd love to have some big 220 JSPs but I'd rather have the money they cost and buy some powder and primers. any help to a newb? thanks and great site!

gun)

I'm new here and hello to all. I was given 5 pounds of this powder H-450, I cant find any data at Hodgdon and little on searches except its a discontinued powder.
the powder is good, it smells fine no rot, its been sealed in these metal cans since 1960? or so, I want to try and use this stuff, I fired 5 shots with a 200 gr. cast bullet gas checked with 50 grs., no mag primer, used WLRs, shot POA at 50 yards
no problem, this data was in my Lee 30/06 die set, it said some dipper for 51.5 gr. so I just tried 50 grs.my rifle is a sport 1917 enfield eddystone, a little late to ask , but am I okay with this load? alot may not like CBs but its a poor mans big game bullet, I'd love to have some big 220 JSPs but I'd rather have the money they cost and buy some powder and primers. any help to a newb? thanks and great site!

gun)
Well, cast isn't most peoples lot here but I do shoot a 375 and a 405 with cast and own a 160 mould in 30 cal I need to fiddle with, so I'll hazard a response here. Cast can be a heck of a short/mid-range way to play but you need to work up to your alloy more than you care about pressure, as the alloy will give out before you hit max. pressure in most rounds. What I've done with my 375 is to work up from to lite a charge going progressively heavier until accuracy goes away. Back off a bit and you are at your load. Depending on your alloy gc pills should be between 1800 and 2200 fps for the most part. You are looking for bullet obduration without breaking the alloy. One other thing to make sure of is that all your bullet is in the neck(none in the body) and the bullet should be touching the rifling or starting to engrave a bit. Off the lead bullet soap box now because I also have data for you.

Hodgdon # 26 had a fair amount of H450 data

30-06 data
with your 200 the start is 51.5 gr at 2232 fps at 36,600 psi with a jacketed pill with a top of 56.0gr at 2455 fps at 46,800 psi.

As to whether you are safe with this load, yes but I wouldn't go much lower even in an '06. The biggest reason I haven't played more with my 160gr 30 cal mould is I only have mags(300 win and rum) in 30 cal anymore. I need a good 308 or '06 to play with; they are more forgiving with lighter loads and cast.

Last edited:
thanks alot Lefty,I seem to be allmost there powder weight, I'll up it to 51 grains, that fps is what I'm trying for with this cast bullet,I have load data from Lymans 44 PDF and it uses Unique,2400, and some IMR powders, but no H-450 or similar powders, my bullets are WWs and very hard cast, my bore slugs out at .309 so I'm sizing .310 with Lyman GCs and lots of lube, this 200 CBs hit hard and stay together, no expansion, but they kill deer very well if I get the right load, thank you very much.

gun)

TJAY, thanks for the site, never saw it before, castboolits, that didnt come up in any searches! lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.