H-4350sc ?

kc

Is H-4350sc? the same rifle powder as H-4350?
I found this in my H-L Magazine 2006, that I have been researching.
Can I still use this powder the same as the H-4350 un cut?

And thanks guys.

I guess I didn't know they made H4350 in SC version but.....you should be able to use it the same. The short cut powders are mainly for ease and more consistent dispersion. Just make sure if you already have an established charge and its on the "high side" you start with a lower charge.
Although I would think that the SC powders would create less pressure because the case isn't as full. Then again, the powder would be packed tighter in your case, so............
I know this has been discussed on here several times and I think the general rule is the max charges are the same for reg, sc, and ssc powders.

Brent

From what I've read, the formulation of h4350 has been changed a bit over time, along with grain length. I'd also venture to guess they mean new production and not war surp. powder. Remember Hodgdon was originally mil. surp. for most stuff and has had to find other sourcing as mil. surp. dried up.

My contact with Hodgdon I was told the short cut burned the same as the regular cut. The reason for the sc was to help the powder meter better .

My contact with Hodgdon I was told the short cut burned the same as the regular cut. The reason for the sc was to help the powder meter better .
That's correct. Remember very few people actually weigh each load, they tend to use the automatic or hand crank powder drops.

Due to the camming action a lot of the long cut powder gets crushed/broken which significantly affects load density and weight.

That problem is all but eliminated with spherical powders and greatly reduced in the short cut powders.

Glad this old thread was revived. Been using H4350 for as long as it's been out and have never seen or heard of the SC version. Anyone have any of this short cut?

When Hodgdon changed the kernal size they designated the new powder as "sc". As the transition became complete they dropped the sc designation. Now all H4350 is "sc" even though it doesn't say it.

This info came from an article by John Barsness. Take it as you wish.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts