H-1000 & Retumbo -REPLACEMENTS

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Since H-1000 and Retumbo are almost unobtainable and we are hoping that they will come back into the market soon. These two poders are prefered and used in Shooting 338 LMAI with good results. Our 338LMAI was scheduled for 2023, but we may build earlier. With all that has happened in the past year (s) going back several administrators and the shortage of powder, we are just trying to get powder for future builds. We are optimistic that things will get better as time goes on, but if it stays the same or start going south, what ARE the MOST COMPAIRABLE POWDERS to H-1000 & RETUMBRO? I have all the burn rate charts for comparison, but we wanted first hand knowledge of other named/numbered powders that resembles H-1000 & Retumbo as close as possible. That way we can purchase other powders when available.
Thanks much for all input from everyone, but we really need reloaders/shooters that have the first hand knowledge with comparisons. This will help Jill and I out as well as the members on LRH.
Len & Jill

I've seen a lot of Viht 24N41 lately (online). Now that I point it out, it'll be hard to locate. I toyed with getting an 8lb keg. PV, Grafs.com, etc. have had it latley. I'm considering a similar build in the next 12-24 months. Either a 300 Lapua Improved or 338 Lapua Improved (specifically the 300 or 388 Terminator +P from Defensive Edge). It's way on the slow end of the burn chart. No experience with it, it just caught my attention latley.

1621465133815.png

I do see Larry has it in stock:

I've seen a lot of Viht 24N41 lately (online). Now that I point it out, it'll be hard to locate. I toyed with getting an 8lb keg. PV, Grafs.com, etc. have had it latley. I'm considering a similar build in the next 12-24 months. Either a 300 Lapua Improved or 338 Lapua Improved (specifically the 300 or 388 Terminator +P from Defensive Edge). It's way on the slow end of the burn chart. No experience with it, it just caught my attention latley.

View attachment 275061

I do see Larry has it in stock:
I have enough 24N41 on hand for about 900 rounds for my 338 Lapua...unfortunately what I don't have right now is the time to load and shoot it. :(

Thanks much all and still looking for advice. I know a lot of powders will work, BUT which is the most close. For example I have say a 260. I can go onto the Hogdon site and look up powders to shoot and work in the 260 with a variety of weights for bullets. I'll get probably 20 different brands and #s. of powder, but the majority of us use H-4350 in a .260
We are trying to look for actuall shooters changing from H1000 or Retumbo to another Brand and #. Sounds like N570
Thanks again

Dang Len. If you were closer I'd give or trade you a few lbs of Retumbo. BUT, as you know, you only get about 75 rounds per lb....
Edit to add, I liked N570 the most in my LM, but it was hard to find and easily the most expensive.

Thanks much all and still looking for advice. I know a lot of powders will work, BUT which is the most close. For example I have say a 260. I can go onto the Hogdon site and look up powders to shoot and work in the 260 with a variety of weights for bullets. I'll get probably 20 different brands and #s. of powder, but the majority of us use H-4350 in a .260
We are trying to look for actuall shooters changing from H1000 or Retumbo to another Brand and #. Sounds like N570
Thanks again
N568 might be something to look out for too. Supposedly coming out soon. Maybe they flood the market with enough volume, you can score a few 8lb jugs.

From my understanding, N565 is really close to H1000.

Dang Len. If you were closer I'd give or trade you a few lbs of Retumbo. BUT, as you know, you only get about 75 rounds per lb....
Edit to add, I liked N570 the most in my LM, but it was hard to find and easily the most expensive.
Jim we hope that you and your family are doing well and good health.
YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Thanks for the offer you are always willing to help out others in the shooting community.
Yea shooting the calibers that we do use a LOT of powder and now the powder that is used the most volume per cartridge is not available. I got 40+ pounds of powder for a .204. 223 6mm Br and they only use 26gr per cartridge. For every 338 I can load four of the previous cartridges.
Thanks much buddy, but just trying to get stocked before the build is done. Just doing load developement for a half dozen bullet weights in a 338 will take an 8# jug.
Len & Jill

There are no doubt others but the ones I have experience with, can vouch for as being easy to work with and satisfying performers, and have been able to acquire more readily than some, are imr 7977 and 8133. I think they do effectively work in place of 1000 and retumbo, respectively.

Since H-1000 and Retumbo are almost unobtainable and we are hoping that they will come back into the market soon. These two poders are prefered and used in Shooting 338 LMAI with good results. Our 338LMAI was scheduled for 2023, but we may build earlier. With all that has happened in the past year (s) going back several administrators and the shortage of powder, we are just trying to get powder for future builds. We are optimistic that things will get better as time goes on, but if it stays the same or start going south, what ARE the MOST COMPAIRABLE POWDERS to H-1000 & RETUMBRO? I have all the burn rate charts for comparison, but we wanted first hand knowledge of other named/numbered powders that resembles H-1000 & Retumbo as close as possible. That way we can purchase other powders when available.
Thanks much for all input from everyone, but we really need reloaders/shooters that have the first hand knowledge with comparisons. This will help Jill and I out as well as the members on LRH.
Len & Jill
The ones I've used are

N565, IMR7977 almost the same as H1000

N570, IMR8133 almost the same as Retumbo

Unfortunately no powders are easy to get right now.