Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

deleted[/Q]UOTE

Hello. I would like to know who has tried it is more effective to have the g7 br2 and enter the wind. or have rangefinder standard sigsauer kilo 2000 whit Kestrel 5400 ballistic application? ATTENTION I HAVE TRIED MANY READINGS 1600B LEICA AND ARE ALWAYS LESS THAN WHEN YOU WANT AND YOU HAVE THE MEASURE HORIZONTAL ANGLE OF SITE. MEASURES FOR ME IS NOT RELIABLE .With LORIS ITALY

I finally broke down and bought the G-7. I have not had a chance to use it at long range yet. I have programed 3 of my rifles with favorite loads for each one.

So here is my question: How does this unit give me accurate long range corrections if there is no place in the program to enter my Zero atmospheric data?

When using the MRAD or MOA output option, there are no fields to enter atmospherics during your zero and sight in at the range.

Here is an example: On my last elk hunt in Idaho, I had zeroed my 7mm Rem Mag at near sea level and 85 degrees, etc. When we got to the mountains of Idaho later that winter, we checked our zeros at over 6000 feet and 32 degrees.

The rifle hit about 1.25" low at 100 yards (that would be a miss at 400 yards). After uploading the atmospheric conditions into my Shooter program, the proper adjustment could be made.

How can the G7 do this if it has no starting point?

I am heading to Kansas at the end of the month and will get a chance to air it out. The difference in altitude alone will be about 3000 ft. We will see.

Thanks,
Woolly

I finally broke down and bought the G-7. I have not had a chance to use it at long range yet. I have programed 3 of my rifles with favorite loads for each one.

So here is my question: How does this unit give me accurate long range corrections if there is no place in the program to enter my Zero atmospheric data?

When using the MRAD or MOA output option, there are no fields to enter atmospherics during your zero and sight in at the range.

Here is an example: On my last elk hunt in Idaho, I had zeroed my 7mm Rem Mag at near sea level and 85 degrees, etc. When we got to the mountains of Idaho later that winter, we checked our zeros at over 6000 feet and 32 degrees.

The rifle hit about 1.25" low at 100 yards (that would be a miss at 400 yards). After uploading the atmospheric conditions into my Shooter program, the proper adjustment could be made.

How can the G7 do this if it has no starting point?

I am heading to Kansas at the end of the month and will get a chance to air it out. The difference in altitude alone will be about 3000 ft. We will see.

Thanks,
Woolly

Given your rifle has been zeroed at 100 or 200 yards,the G7 will register and apply the atmospheric corrections as required. Manual atmospheric inputs to the program are not necessary. Regardless of the ballistic system being used, rechecking the rifles zero is important and changes can be caused by factors other then atmospheric conditions which generally have no material effect at 100 or 200 yard zeroing ranges.

Last edited:
Given your rifle has been zeroed at 100 or 200 yards,the G7 will register and apply the atmospheric corrections as required. Manual atmospheric inputs to the program are not necessary. Regardless of the ballistic system being used, rechecking the rifles zero is important and changes can be caused by factors other then atmospheric conditions which generally have no material effect at 100 or 200 yard zeroing ranges.

Well I have to respectfully disagree with you. Any moderately advanced ballistics program requires atmospheric data to be input at the time of Zero. Otherwise, the program has no starting point of reference other than a raw zero when corrections are applied in the field.

In my situation, the 60 degree temperature drop was enough to cause a 1.2" drop in zero at 100 yards on the mountain. Same for my two hunting partners. Effectively, our zero's were no longer valid.

Once we input our Zero atmosphere (fortunately, I had recorded the data) and the Shooter program uploaded current conditions, all was well. And it has been ever since, no matter the conditions.

I have used just about every ballistic program ever made. For the last several years, my hunting buddies and I have used Shooter. At the time of Zero, it is critical to enter your atmospherics as well as velocity, range, BC, etc. You can even enter spin drift and coriolis if you choose. Once you get to the place where you will hunt/shoot you can simply upload current conditions if you have a cell phone connection or upload the data manually.

With the G7, current conditions are uploaded automatically when you hit the range button. Very cool assuming the onboard weather station is accurate. And if you are using the BDC mode, you were allowed to enter your Zero Temp and Altitude as part of the program. That is a good start. However, using the MRAD or MOA programs, those two variables are not allowed.

Without the Zero atmospherics entered, the G7 would have been giving me a solution with a built in error of more than one MOA! That would be a 4" plus miss at 400 yards. If Altitude and Temperature were important Zero data for the BDC program, why was it not important for the MRAD and MOA programs? And what about Humidity, look angle, spin drift, zero offset, etc?

Woolecox,

I used Shooter before I acquired my G7 about 5 years ago and continue to use it for some of my ELR shooting due to the the advanced capabilities like SD and CE. When I acquired my G7 originally, and more recently, the new version, both Shooter and the G7's were compared from 350 altitude to 6000 altitude over a wide temperature range. The trajectory outputs in MOA and Mil is identical between Shooter and the G7 units out to well over 1000 yards. Given that the rifle is zeroed and the indicated fields are filled, the G7 does not require an atmospheric baseline. It appears that Shooter doesn't either if an accurate density and temperature is input at the time of the reading.
A good test for you to see the effects of pressure density and temperature on your zero would be to change your atmospheric conditions in Shooter over a wide range and check the effect on your trajectory table at 100 or 200 yards. In my 6.5x 284 a combined 6000 ft elevation and 50 degree temperature difference has a .1MOA impact on trajectory at 300 yards with a 200 yard zero.... If my zero changes, something else is probably going on.
Oversll, I have taken more than a couple of dozen game animals and lost count of PD's and coyotes from 500-1200 yards with both versions of the G7 in MOA mode. It does work superbly!

Woolecox,

I used Shooter before I acquired my G7 about 5 years ago and continue to use it for some of my ELR shooting due to the the advanced capabilities like SD and CE. When I acquired my G7 originally, and more recently, the new version, both Shooter and the G7's were compared from 350 altitude to 6000 altitude over a wide temperature range. The trajectory outputs in MOA and Mil is identical between Shooter and the G7 units out to well over 1000 yards. Given that the rifle is zeroed and the indicated fields are filled, the G7 does not require an atmospheric baseline. It appears that Shooter doesn't either if an accurate density and temperature is input at the time of the reading.
A good test for you to see the effects of pressure density and temperature on your zero would be to change your atmospheric conditions in Shooter over a wide range and check the effect on your trajectory table at 100 or 200 yards. In my 6.5x 284 a combined 6000 ft elevation and 50 degree temperature difference has a .1MOA impact on trajectory at 300 yards with a 200 yard zero.... If my zero changes, something else is probably going on.
Oversll, I have taken more than a couple of dozen game animals and lost count of PD's and coyotes from 500-1200 yards with both versions of the G7 in MOA mode. It does work superbly!

I sure hope you are right. I will re-check the numbers. But, we did that in 2013 and confirmed the difference the temp made. The main thing is if it works or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.