Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Field Test

ADMIN

Administrator
When Laser Technology Inc. gave me one of their new Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinders to field test I couldn't wait to get out and see what this baby would do. The first thing I noticed when they handed me the G7 BR2 was that it felt very light, weighing a little over 14 ounces. It wasn't as compact as some of the other rangefinders on the market, but still not too bulky. The Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder is approximately 5" x 4.5" x 2" give or take. When looking through the viewfinder, you can't help noticing how crisp and clear the optics are. It was like watching an HD TV. The operation buttons are comfortably located and easy to navigate. The G7 BR2 Rangefinder's illuminated display is easy to see in all lighting conditions, and there is an indicator on the left side that tells you when the laser is firing. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Field Test, By Anthony Montoya. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Great article. I am tired of not being able to range shootable animals with Leica rangefinders. My Swarovski was sent back to Austria after being dropped so I didn't have it for hunting season this fall so I had to depend on the Leicas. No comparison. They SUCK. I will own a G7 shortly. Keep up the good work.

Curious what Leica rangefinder you are using. This hasn't been my experience at all.

Scot E.

Mine either. So is it one of the early models (flat box type) 800, 900 or 1200?

or is it the newer CRF in a 1200 or 1600?

Have you ever dropped it too?

If you like the Swaro better than the Leica you have, and the Leica is a new model 1600 there is something wrong.

Jeff

It's the 1600 and the Geovids. Neiter are as accurate or consistent as the Swaro. They will be the last Leicas I will own, period.

Can't speak to the Geovids but it sounds like you got a bum 1600. That is the model I have and it is fantastic. I prefer it over the Swaro.

Scot E.

I would send that 1600 in for replacement then. After owning 5 Swaros and a few Leica's I can tell you something is wrong. I was done with the Swaro's when they cost me a nice White tail and a great elk. The huge beam of the Swaro will bite sooner or later. As will the large beam in the G7 if you are not careful. I have tested all the above mentioned against a Vectronix PLRF10 and know where the weaknesses lie. If you are so inclined there is plenty of great data on this site. The search engine in the upper right corner is where I would start.

Thanks for the reply and good hunting to you.

Jeff

I cannot agree with the statement from article:
"...I have tried many rangefinders from companies like Nikon, Leopold, Leica and Swarowski with price tags from $400 to over $1200. All of these rangefinders will range at distances of 800 yards in optimal conditions with reflective targets, but few will in field conditions. In fact even the upper priced rangefinders had a hard time ranging animals at 800 yards in the mid-day sunlight...."

I only know that my trusty Swaro Laser Guide 8x30 is capable of ranging the objects which are beyond 2000 yards. You cant compare it with cheaper or smaller rangefinders (Nikon, Leupy, Zeiss).... Swaro LG 8x30 is great when other devices have failed - bad atmosphere conditions, very light fog, etc., has great battery life AND can be used as the alternative to small binocular (LG was already binocular, they only installed laser into one tube) for the dusk and down because of its optical quality and 8x magnification. I own the Swaro LG now for more then 7 years and it still work flawless. Just my opinion...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.