Gunsmiths gone wild...need help!

Lazerus

I have a Tiki T3 light. I called a highly regarded barrel maker and asked if they did any inexpensive re-barreling jobs. The guy who answered said, "not oridnarily, but I will do one for you". I thought he was speaking for the barrel company, but when he sent me his business card, I learned that he was doing gunsmithing on the side. I ordered a 28 inch barrel in 6.5 .284 Norma told him i wanted a mnimum dimension chamber, send him a reloaded dummy round wiht all the particulars...I have been waiting over a year, and he keeps giving excuses. All the excuses might be real, but it is not fun for me. Today he told me he could not get the barrel off the rifle to install the new barrel. He also, cut into the barrel that was on the rifle to try to releive pressure. I reminded him that is was a fairly good barrel and I wanted to get it back. He informed me that it is now scrap. My question is: what would be the appropriate course of action. As it stands, he has my rifle, which he has effectviely ruined. He also has my new barrel, and all of my money. I told him if he couldn't get it done, he would have to buy me a replacement rifle, send me all my money back, and my barrel. That is the worse case scenario, or I would settle for a Rem 700 action or a Savage action in stainless. Of course I would have to buy a stock and new trigger, which will run me well over 300 dollars. Am I being too much of a hard nose...not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a Tiki T3 light. I called a highly regarded barrel maker and asked if they did any inexpensive re-barreling jobs. The guy who answered said, "not oridnarily, but I will do one for you". I thought he was speaking for the barrel company, but when he sent me his business card, I learned that he was doing gunsmithing on the side. I ordered a 28 inch barrel in 6.5 .284 Norma told him i wanted a mnimum dimension chamber, send him a reloaded dummy round wiht all the particulars...I have been waiting over a year, and he keeps giving excuses. All the excuses might be real, but it is not fun for me. Today he told me he could not get the barrel off the rifle to install the new barrel. He also, cut into the barrel that was on the rifle to try to releive pressure. I reminded him that is was a fairly good barrel and I wanted to get it back. He informed me that it is now scrap. My question is: what would be the appropriate course of action. As it stands, he has my rifle, which he has effectviely ruined. He also has my new barrel, and all of my money. I told him if he couldn't get it done, he would have to buy me a replacement rifle, send me all my money back, and my barrel. That is the worse case scenario, or I would settle for a Rem 700 action or a Savage action in stainless. Of course I would have to buy a stock and new trigger, which will run me well over 300 dollars. Am I being too much of a hard nose...not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Man... he'd have to explain the aforementioned underlined.. That reads a little on the BS side to me. The freaking pressure is between the action and the barrel'.., in the action!

Sounds like he may have tweaked your action in the process and doesn't want too bring it to the table.

If you paid buy CC; complain'.., and ask your CC to return your money... He should take the short end of the deal.. "He broke it", deal is'.., you break it you own it.... he should have to replace it, and return your money. However once you start negotiating you've made it a civil problem with not a lot of other recourse; other than suing, or taking "his" deal.
There are avenues you can complain to, but it's a bitch, you win in the end, but what a headache.

Bottom line.. he keeps the old rifle and send you a new one, and returns your money.. and any extra expense to you.

Good luck.

Tikka's have been well known to have very difficult barrels to remove. Parting a groove just in front of the action into the barrel is a very common way to relieve enough pressure to remove a barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.