Gunsmiths for Ruger M77 rebarrel?

Nothing wrong with them just seems like most people scoff at the idea of putting the same amount of money into truing up a ruger as it would cost to buy a custom.

Where are you getting your information on prices from? I've had at least six Ruger 77 tang safety builds put together. I'm using Lilja barrels, chambered and then contoured to the factory contour, blueprinted, glass/pillar bedded my factory stock and reblued entire rifle for around $800-900. My gunsmith said that he'll measure the action and do what work needs to the action "if" he finds that the action needs to be trued; however, he's found that the actions usually do not need much work. That's all that I have are Ruger 77s and very happy with them. The photo is a 100 yard target on one of the builds that I just started working up loads for. The shift in POI was due to scope adjustment. I have a .270 AI target with 3/4 inch, two shot groups at 300 yards. If I find that target I'll add it to this post. What I did find when I wanted to do a Ruger 77 build was that there were many gunsmiths who simply did not want to work on Ruger 77 actions because they were not tooled up to do them. I am a hunter not a 1000 yard benchrest shooter. Are there better actions/rifles out there, sure there are, but for hunting my Rugers will meet all my needs for what/how I hunt. As for 600 yard shots, the rifle will certainly make the shot, the nut behind the trigger could probably use some tightening up!! As for more expensive guns/actions, one could spend $1000s on them and still end up being a major headache!! All one has to do is to read some of the threads on this forum and you'll find plenty of stories to support this statement. I just purchased a Ruger 77, mkII, Gunsite scout rifle in .450 Bushmaster for black bear hunting. I will not be rebarreling this rifle, but I will glassbed/pillar bed the rifle and float the barrel and work the trigger. Presently "out of the box", with "factory ammunition" the rifle shoots around 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. And out of the box I found that the barrel was hitting the stock hard on one side of the inletting. I'll guarantee that when I'm done with the stock and trigger work this rifle (Ruger 77,mmkII) will shoot MOA "or" sub MOA when it's done.

Attachments

• 87550492-6B87-4F30-874E-44ABFDB8F24C.jpeg
    87550492-6B87-4F30-874E-44ABFDB8F24C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 93854438-850C-4F77-8C0B-FF5434BEFD96.jpeg
    93854438-850C-4F77-8C0B-FF5434BEFD96.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 38
  • .270AI.JPG
    .270AI.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
What makes you think that you're wasting your money on this build? I have done this with a number of Ruger 77s and me never been disappointed!'
I don't think I'm wasting money, but if you look into blue printing a ruger action in other threads and forums, most of it is "spend another $100 and get into a custom". I got my cost analysis from have Rem 700s trued up. That runs around $250. Doing it to a ruger at a minimum will be the same if not more.

Aaron Roberts in Spring TX will do them too I think, his reputation from what I see is really good.

I don't think I'm wasting money, but if you look into blue printing a ruger action in other threads and forums, most of it is "spend another $100 and get into a custom". I got my cost analysis from have Rem 700s trued up. That runs around $250. Doing it to a ruger at a minimum will be the same if not more.

Okay I get it, I was just responding to your OP, "Yes I understand I'm "wasting" money doing this with this action." I do not know what other posts some of the replies are coming from. What I have given you are actual prices and actual photos of what I am getting with rifles that I have had built for the $800-900 price range; and...please do not quote me as it has been a couple of years since I had a rifle built. When one considers the cost of the donor rifle, that I believe you have, the cost of $800-900 is reasonable. If one adds the cost of a donor rifle, plus the cost of the build then the price tag goes up. Good luck with what you decide to build and how you want to proceed forward.

First post here but I'd also recommend Kevin Weaver in Colorado. He's finishing up a Ruger tanger for me and has been very friendly and knowledgeable. Give him a call, you can ship your rifle to him. Also it's no more expensive than any other rifle. If I only went with a rebarrel and blueprint I'd be in roughly a grand and 90% of that is barrel and chambering.