Gunsmiths for Ruger M77 rebarrel?

RHC

Good evening everyone,

I'm in need of recommendations for a really good gunsmith that is will true up a Ruger M77 MK II action, rebarrel, and do a proper glass bedding job into the stock. Yes I understand I'm "wasting" money doing this with this action. Don't plan on selling the rifle. No, I don't want to hear about how I can get a custom action for the same price.

Update: I am using a HS precision stock and a McGowen barrel for this build.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Pac nor did a great job for me they can do an exact copy of the barrel so there is no stock work to get it to fit. I don't know if they do the bedding work I do that myself it is easy to check it out on you tube if you want try it yourself

Yeah, I agree, Pac-Nor... would do a really good job and not really spendy. Look at their Polygonal twist barrel.

Good evening everyone,

I'm in need of recommendations for a really good gunsmith that is will true up a Ruger M77 MK II action, rebarrel, and do a proper glass bedding job into the stock. Yes I understand I'm "wasting" money doing this with this action. Don't plan on selling the rifle. No, I don't want to hear about how I can get a custom action for the same price.

Thanks!
Have you checked the gunsmiths near you? How far are you willing to travel? Ship?

I have a Defiance and a Weatherby, but have four Rugers, mainly because I've had them for a hundred years and when you clamp those scope rings on that action, it stays where you put it. I bought a Schnieder SS 6.5 barrel and had Weaver Rifles in Peyton, CO do the chambering for a 6.5 Weatherby RPM. It hovers around .5 MOA, with me pulling the trigger, but I'm old, so it could likely do better. Contrary to what the experts say, those old 77's really can shoot, but only one of mine is the Mk II and it has the original 20" barrel. Good enough, but not a long-range gun. I waited 11.5 months for a Benchmark barrel and it shoots really good, but lately I've bought a couple of Preferred Barrel blanks off Ebay from the two guys in Utah. So far, so good and I received them in less than two weeks instead of months. Kevin Weaver will likely ask you to buy a barrel, then ship everything to him together. They bought a CNC machine about a year ago and are turning out fantastic work. Regardless who you use, I think you are doing just fine with upgrading an old Ruger, especially if its one you have some history with.

Have you checked the gunsmiths near you? How far are you willing to travel? Ship?
I have, my regular guy I go to won't pick up the phone or call me back. Getting fed up and frustrated. There's only one other guy in town I trust but it's the same deal with him.

Being that I'm driving truck for a living, it's not too big of a deal to drop it off anywhere from Washington/Oregon to Ohio/Tennessee/Kentucky.

I have, my regular guy I go to won't pick up the phone or call me back. Getting fed up and frustrated. There's only one other guy in town I trust but it's the same deal with him.

Being that I'm driving truck for a living, it's not too big of a deal to drop it off anywhere from Washington/Oregon to Ohio/Tennessee/Kentucky.
Perhaps @Alex Wheeler can help.

@Alibiiv

I have a Defiance and a Weatherby, but have four Rugers, mainly because I've had them for a hundred years and when you clamp those scope rings on that action, it stays where you put it. I bought a Schnieder SS 6.5 barrel and had Weaver Rifles in Peyton, CO do the chambering for a 6.5 Weatherby RPM. It hovers around .5 MOA, with me pulling the trigger, but I'm old, so it could likely do better. Contrary to what the experts say, those old 77's really can shoot, but only one of mine is the Mk II and it has the original 20" barrel. Good enough, but not a long-range gun. I waited 11.5 months for a Benchmark barrel and it shoots really good, but lately I've bought a couple of Preferred Barrel blanks off Ebay from the two guys in Utah. So far, so good and I received them in less than two weeks instead of months. Kevin Weaver will likely ask you to buy a barrel, then ship everything to him together. They bought a CNC machine about a year ago and are turning out fantastic work. Regardless who you use, I think you are doing just fine with upgrading an old Ruger, especially if its one you have some history with.
I agree with everything you've said. I've got quite a bit of history with this rifle. It's chambered in .300 SAUM and IMO is the best of the short fat magnums. I'm planning on staying with this chambering. I've got over 500 pieces of Norma brass and another 750 pieces of Remington brass. Never had a lick of issues with feeding and overall just like the CRF. My goal is to have a reliable 600 yard elk rifle with the 175 gr. LRX bullets. I think this setup with a 26" barrel will get me there.

I talked to him a while back about another project with a Howa action. He didn't sound interested in truing up factory actions but was willing to do just the chamber. I'd like to find someone that would spend the time to true up the face, lugs, thread etc.
Stand by, I am almost positive my gunsmith can do it, but I sent him a text. I will let you know as soon as I find out.