Gunsmiths doing the 300 Tomahawk conversion

Digger49r

I was hoping to get my Sendero SF converted and rebarreled to the either the 300 Tomahawk or the 338 version over the winter. Does anyone know of a gunsmith here in Canada that has the reamers to do this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

digger its vmax from the chat room. how you doing? i cant tell you of any gunsmiths in your area but i can give you rays number he may rechamber one i dont know. would be worth trying out. let me know

Digger49r,

I've been in your shoes too however I know no one has a reamer for 300 or 338 Tomahawk reamer in SouthWestern Ontario so you better off calling Ray in PA. I'd contact him when I have the budget to build the long range rifle.
First of all, get the paperwork from ATF (US) from the internet or call them and follow all instructions then you should be alright to export your rifle to the states. (more likely to take 3 months to process for approval from the ATF).
-DG

Digger

If your going to stay with the standard length barrel that is on your present rifle, you may want to just leave the rifle a 300 RUM (if it is a 300 RUM) and shoot it till the barrel goes sour and then rechamber.
If your staying at the 26" length, the Tomahawk won't give you "that" much more punch but, a little bit.

If your wanting to go to a 338 and rebarrel at a later time, the 338 RUM is still a good choice for the rifle you want to lug around.

I have found that the Tomahawks will give "up to" 5 and 6 grains of additional powder capacity and is worth it for the extreme range shooter with longer barrels.

Because of the hassel, possibly a gunsmith in Canada can do the standard RUM of maybe they/you can buy a Tomahawk reamer from a company in the States when your ready?

Just my 2 cents worth
DC

Well thanks for all the info!Yes the rifle is a 300 RUM now.What I really want to build is a serious longrange rig and I think the tomahawk is the way to go for me. The idea of buying the reamer occured to me Darryle,it seems that it would be the easiest way to go and I'd always have it for barrel changes. My problem is finding a competant gunsmith this side of the boarder that does this type of work.I was talking to one that suggested that I buy the 300 reamer and use a throater to go to the 338 since the case would be the same. Any comments on that? You guys seem to have this figured out pretty well.... your advice is welcomed.

Has anyone here had a 300 Ultra Mag rechambered to a 300 Tomahawk yet to quantify exactly what MV gain there is? After all this time you all (a few) have had them, I'm still not sure what the MV advantage is, is there much of one?

Digger49r,

Just my 2 cents, but if you are even remotely considering the 338, I'd go with the 338 Lapua case, and if you're willing to buy a reamer, Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge will set you up with one for $135.00 with exactly what you want, improved or otherwise. If you're going to spend the money, it's more bang for your buck for sure.

Digger49

Call Ray Romain in Brockport, PA---814-265-1948.

He can set you up with the reamer and possibly do the work for you when you decide to get it done.

I think in your situation, the Tomahawk would work just fine for you.
The new lots of Remington Ultra mag brass that the fellows are getting as of late, are "VERY" good.
You won't have to have any bolt face work done, at an extra charge, since you already have the rifle chambered in the RUM configuration.

I believe the Tomahawk will do about anything any comparable cartridge case, that holds close to the same capacity (or even a tad bit more) will do, regardless of what it is.
Using a correct powder and bullet is the key.

Good luck
Later
DC

[ 09-08-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.