Gunsmith said this was a good job?

jam66

I recently took three barrels to a local Gunsmith to have them shortened and have an 11 degree target crown down, with a beveled outer edge. The barrels were a .223 model 700 Bull, and 2 H&R Ultra Slug barrels(20 an 12 ga) I talked with him at length and he explained how he would do it on his lathe. When I picked up the barrels, I imediately saw that the end of the 20 ga barrel was very ruff and had a heavy burr around the inside bore. The scope rail was gouged and there were mark on my barrel below the mount. The 12 ga looked a little better, but was still not smooth and showed machining marks, the outer bevel was not complete on both barrels and went only 3/4 of the way around the outer edge. He then took a file and beveled the rest of the bevel on the 20 ga. The .223 barrel was a little barrel but was showing a burn mark near the outer edge and I later found a burr around the inner rifling. He told me that shooting slugs would smooth out the burrs on the 20ga. I called him 3 days later and told him I was not satisfied with the job and told him I wanted a refund for the crowning, I guess he did at least shorten them. I was not disrespectfull and he said if that If I wanted I refund , to not to come back to his shop again. He said he did a good job, what do you think?

Attachments

• hr2.jpg
    hr2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 165
  • hr1.jpg
    hr1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 166
  • hr3.jpg
    hr3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 163
He said he did use a lathe with a steady rest(?), but said the Shotgun barrels were very hard and went through several cutters. About 10 yrs ago I used him for a trigger job on a Handi, I had to bring it back once,but it turned out decent in the end. He never offered to correct any of the things I pointed out. He ordered a scope mount , only after I asked.

Completely horrible and unacceptable work. Where was this done at and Why on earth would you trust him to fix it after the quality he has done already..
Basically he has ruined three barrels in one shot.

About 10 yrs ago I used him for a trigger job on a Handi, I had to bring it back once,but it turned out decent in the end. He never offered to correct any of the things I pointed out. He ordered a scope mount , only after I asked.

IIWY, this would have been my first cue NOT to go back with him.

I was not disrespectfull and he said if that If I wanted I refund , to not to come back to his shop again.

I'd take his refund offer and NEVER go back to his shop again.

Get you money back and never go back.

I'm not a professional and my work is far far better.

There is more than one way to shorten and crown but a roughing cut with a parting tool ain't one of them.

I was not disrespectfull and he said if that If I wanted I refund , to not to come back to his shop again. He said he did a good job, what do you think?

Take this deal and find someone who has actual pride in his work. Never going back to his shop is just a bonus.

You can expect a little swirl mark sometimes on really hard SS. I didn't like how mine came out on one barrel... So I lapped the tool marks off. Nothing I have ever seen looks like your shotgun barrels. I wonder if he even has a lathe?!?!

You can expect a little swirl mark sometimes on really hard SS. I didn't like how mine came out on one barrel... So I lapped the tool marks off. Nothing I have ever seen looks like your shotgun barrels. I wonder if he even has a lathe?!?!

If he does, he doesn't know how to make it a finished job or doesn't care.

A good Gunsmith would not leave it looking like that. There is a lot more to being a good Gunsmith
than being able to turn a Lathe on and cut something.

Craftsman ship is a big factor in the end results and a good craftsman would never except ''Good enough".

If you know how to sharpen a lathe tool you can get a finished cut without any sanding, filing or lapping. All HSS and carbide tools are much harder than any barrel steel and should not have any trouble cutting them if they are sharpened correctly.

Some grades of steel are harder to cut than others but if you use a properly sharpened tool at the right speed and position/angle to the work it should come out finished.

I don't know, and don't want to know who did the work. but like the others said go somewhere else to get your gun work done.

J E CUSTOM

I'm not a Gunsmith but I'm reasonably sure I can improve the looks of those with my bench grinder. I'm 100% sure I can improve the looks of them with my belt sander.

He said he did a good job, what do you think?

I'd hate to see work he rates as less than good. Perhaps he was holding a grudge against you?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. You've been fooled once too many already from this 'gunsmith'.

I sawed off a vent rib Rem 870 smooth bore barrel for home defense and bear protection using a hack saw and cleaned it up with some files. Your gunsmith's good work makes my work look outstanding, in comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.