Gunsmith question

Varmint Hunter

I have a 26" Hart 7STW barrel on a Rem Sendero action. The receiver threads were single point lathe cut (oversized) before the barrel was threaded for it.

I was thinking of removing this barrel and having it recut to fit on a Tikka 595 action. The barrel would be shortened and rechambered to 7mm-08.

Is this Rem to Tikka barrel conversion possible?

[ 11-04-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Varmint Hunter,

It really depends on the full diameter barrel shank on your Hart barrel. Most custom barrels have a good long barrel shank of at least 1.200" and most are 1.250".

You will have to shorten the barrel a long way to get the STW chamber cut out as the shoulder on the STW is quite a bit larger then the base of the 7mm-08.

Just guessing but I would say that if your barrel shank is long enough, youcould cut around 2.000" to 2.250" off and rechamber and rethread to the Tikka.

As long as the barrel shank if long enough I do not see a problem as long as you are OK with a 23.5" to 24" barrel on a 7mm-08 which is PLENTY of barrel for this round.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,

Good point, I failed to consider the barrel shank length. The full diameter shank appears to be only 1.75" from the recoil lug.

Maybe I could rechamber to a short-fat 7mm. This way there would not be a need to cut off the entire pre-existing chamber area.

VH

Varmint Hunter,

A round such as the 7mm WSM would only need about .700" of barrel cut off. Basically, you would just need to cut off the Rem threads and refit the barrel.

THis would work much better and you would still have a 25" or so barrel.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I agree with Kerby, the 7 WSM would be the way to. I have done the same conversion but 300 Ultra to 300 WSM. There are a few barrels you can rethread, going from Remington Sendero to a Winchester action works by just cutting the threads down to Winchester size and making the other cuts as necessary.

Thanks guys.

I last thought. Could the 7WSM be loaded to 7mm-08 velocities and still maintain peak accuracy? I really don't need, or want, the extra horse power but the accuracy is important.

VH

[ 11-05-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Varmint Hunter,

IT is possible to do this but the WSM still has enough case capacity to get kind of ****y with reduced loads.

I do not think you would have a danger issue like some of the larger cases but consistancy will probably drop off some.

One thing to remember is that if youdo use reduced loads, be sure that whatever powder you use will use a charge large enough to completely cover the flash hole when the round is laying on its side.

It would take a severly reduced load not to accomplish this but some very bad thinks can happen if the powder ignited over the full length of the case and the gas is directed vertically.

Always remember that the leavier bullets are best for reduced loads, they offer more resistance to the powder for a more efficent burn and they also take up more case volume, again a plus in what your looking to do.

I would say you could get down to a 140 gr bullet at around 3000-3100 fps with good accuracy and consistancy but it may take some load development.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

My idea may be more trouble than its worth. Besides, I really don't need a 7WSM. I've already gota 7mm-08 and a 7STW.

I think I'll just put a new barrel on the Tikka and stop trying to rebarrel 2 guns with one new barrel. I'll get to the 7STW at another time.

Thanks -VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.