Gunsmith near Richmond Va Needed

Jerryrva

Much to my surprise I found out my local master gunsmith can no longer drill and tap guns for installing a scope. In 2016, Obama signed an Exec Order making that service fall under manufacturing a firearm. Most small gunsmith apparently are not going to get the license to manufacture and deal with all the added paperwork that goes along with it.

Anyone know a smith within an hour of Richmond who can do it?

John Myer, Custom Gunsmithing in Boyce VA. Little more than hour, but is a top LR smith too. Jeff Walker, at Walker Custom Gunsmithing in Culpepper and he is top LR smith. Ask Jeff about their monthly steel target matches out to 1200

Much to my surprise I found out my local master gunsmith can no longer drill and tap guns for installing a scope. In 2016, Obama signed an Exec Order making that service fall under manufacturing a firearm. Most small gunsmith apparently are not going to get the license to manufacture and deal with all the added paperwork that goes along with it.

Anyone know a smith within an hour of Richmond who can do it?

I'm north of Richmond a bit, but haven't opened shop because of that same regulation. I haven't found anyone else in the area, either. Not that it'll help, but your gunsmith misinterpreted that regulation; the only thing he can do without being a "manufacturer" and paying ITAR is drill and tap for scopes.

You are indeed right as I just looked it up myself. Drilling and tapping for a scope doesn't improve the accuracy of the firearm, only the shooter himself. He did say most requests he gets is for threading muzzles which definitely falls under the law restrictions.
I was looking to get my revolver top strap tapped to mount a red dot sight. At my age I can't focus the short distance on pistol sights anymore. Getting old sucks all around.

I am waiting until the regulations change to get my FFL and start doing commercial work, but I don't know a single gunsmith already in business that has had an ATF examiner care what State Department's definition of "manufacturing" is since it conflicts with BATFE's. The down side is State's imposes retroactive penalties to when you began your business if they find you not in compliance. Not worth the risk to me to save $2200/year.

Smith & Wesson was on to something when they started drilling and tapping all of their larger revolvers in the late '90s or early 2000s. I think they saw how many people were having it done aftermarket, and just went ahead and drilled and tapped theirs so you could remove the rear sight and have the holes already underneath. I don't have any new enough to have them, but did some action jobs for friends on newer S&Ws that did.

All my revolvers are from 83-88. Just bought last month a 1983 model 24 44 special so still missing out on the holes.

I have a 6.5" PC24-5 that I haven't gotten around to shooting. One of these days... It sure points well, I just haven't had a need for it, yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.