Gunsmith / Machine Shop to inlet flat top stock

Laguna Freak

My very talented local gunsmith finished my M70 LA custom build. Now the F-Class shooter / machinist I had lined up to inlet my carbon fiber VG2 flat top seems to be incommunicado. So, I'm looking for someone who will do a great job inletting for a M70 : Bartlein #4 CF barreled action. I don't want to ship the barreled action but will be traveling from NE OK to N UT next month and then back in Feb. Can anyone here recommend a good 'smith / machinist on my route which will go from Vinita, OK to Wichita, N at I-35, W at I-70, N at Colby, KS cut across SW Nebraska (by Kearney & North Platte) then on to Casper, WY. Then from Casper to Logan, UT. I could go through NE CO if needed.

Thanks for any referrals on this route.

Dunno if he's setup specific to a 70, nor how far off route he is. But lri does some spectacular cnc in letting.

Dunno if he's setup specific to a 70, nor how far off route he is. But lri does some spectacular cnc in letting.

LRI can do what I need. He's in SD. His SOP is to have the barreled action on site. I haven't talked to him about doing it without the barreled action yet. He's on my back up list if this plan doesn't work. Sturgis is a few hundred miles off my route.

I have had LRI inlet two on my model 70 actions into flat top stocks including my 375 they have now and their work is phenomenal. It is not cheap and both have not been quick turnarounds. Chad will most definitely want the action and stock to be there as they draw the tang in to match the lines of the stock. The process also requires metal to be refinished/coated after filing.

You might also check with Evelio McDonald in Wimberly Tx. I've been using him since 2008. Even though I don't live in Texas anymore, he's still works on my rifles. He just finished one up for me and it's on it way back. I'll send you his number by PM.

I have had LRI inlet two on my model 70 actions into flat top stocks including my 375 they have now and their work is phenomenal. It is not cheap and both have not been quick turnarounds. Chad will most definitely want the action and stock to be there as they draw the tang in to match the lines of the stock. The process also requires metal to be refinished/coated after filing.

To do a flat top, you really want a shop with a CNC set up for it. Sure, it can be done "old school" on a manual mill- but it just doesn't make sense from an economic perspective, much less the greater precision from CNC. Inletting a flat top isn't cheap- no matter how it's done.

Even with CNC there is programing, even if there's a 'base' program in the memory. The 'base program' will need to be reviewed and possibly adjusted to make certain the cutting will match the metal. It's always desirable to have the barreled action along with the stock. Location of the metal to the stock is another concern. You have to tell the machine where to start... A "good job" doesn't happen by accident. It might take many hundreds, maybe thousands of hours to program every variation, and then there would be that 'one' that didn't match-up with any of those programs stored in the memory.

Last edited:
Even with CNC there is programing, even if there's a 'base' program in the memory. The 'base program' will need to be reviewed and possibly adjusted to make certain the cutting will match the metal. It's always desirable to have the barreled action along with the stock. Location of the metal to the stock is another concern. You have to tell the machine where to start... A "good job" doesn't happen by accident. It might take many hundreds, maybe thousands of hours to program every variation, and then there would be that 'one' that didn't match-up with any of those programs stored in the memory.
Roger that. I'm happy to drop / sign off the barreled action with the stock. Just don't want to ship it in these days of commercial shippers "losing" firearms.

Roger that. I'm happy to drop / sign off the barreled action with the stock. Just don't want to ship it in these days of commercial shippers "losing" firearms.

I completely understand your hesitance, shipping is a scary world right now.

That being said, I have to +2 or +3 for LRI. Chad can work some serious magic on a M70. He does quite a few benchrest rigs every year & knows how to do it right.

t

If you are on Facebook check out LongRifles Inc. (LRI)...they posted pictures two days ago of my left handed New Haven M70 375 H&H they just CNC inlet into a Echol's legend McMillan flat top. Painted it and refinished the Cerakote as well.

If you are on Facebook check out LongRifles Inc. (LRI)...they posted pictures two days ago of my left handed New Haven M70 375 H&H they just CNC inlet into a Echol's legend McMillan flat top. Painted it and refinished the Cerakote as well.

That was yours?! I really dig that rifle... pretty sure I was the first person to comment on those pics. (lefty here too).

t

That was yours?! I really dig that rifle... pretty sure I was the first person to comment on those pics. (lefty here too).

t
It is mine. I have hoarded lefty New Haven M70s over the years...that one is a 24" Brux barrel 375 H&H, Jewell trigger, Williams bottom metal...painted Magpul FDE with black speckles. I bought two flat top Legend stocks from Darcy Echols years ago and Chad at LRI has inlet both of them. Other one is a M70 375 RUM.

Recent Posts