• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED gunsmith lathe

lbarger

I read forum everyday but rarely post. Hope I am in right place.

Just retired this year and want to enter precision rifle competitions, something I have always wanted to do but didn't have time. I want to build my own rifles and was wondering what lathe you experienced builders would recommend. Had no time to do this before but had the money, now have limited funds and lots of time.
Really excited about getting involved in shooting competition. Any help you guys can offer is appreciated. Recommendations, suggestions, dos and don't etc.
Thanks for your time.p

I don't build guns for a living but I'm an experienced machinist. It seems like your looking for good used lathe. There are many many makers of suitable lathes out there. When you go to look at whichever lathe is in your price range. Look at the ways make sure they don't have to many dents and dings and no rust. Check to make sure the machine threads properly. Look for any accessories like steadyrests and follow rests tool holders, extra chucks and drill chucks. I primarily use cncs but one of my favorite manual lathes in the last two shops I was in is an Hwacheon brand. Okuma are also solid if you can find them. This may of be no help whatsoever to you as I don't know your background.

Based upon your needs, a South Bend Heavy 10 would be a good choice. You can still find them at reasonable prices.

Good Luck-

Matt

Their are many different types of rifle competitions available to you. I compete XTC ,LR Prone and small bore prone. I shoot with a number of F-Class shooters.
I would steer you to f-class, specifically FTR which is shot with the 308 or 223 unmodified. I am a licensed gunsmith and would recommend a go slow in this direction. Start with some intro classes at the local comm. college to get your feet wet operating a lathe and mill, then you will have a better idea of what you want to do.
Steve Bair

You can buy a couple competitive guns and 6/8 barrels for the cost of the basics you need to start building them. It's fun building guns but you would never "save" enough money doing it yourself to break even. So if you want two really expensive hobbies start gunsmithing AND competitive shooting. The real downside to building your own.... No one else to blame a miss on!!