Gunsmith for 300 RAUM to WSM Needed in Phoenix Area

Viking

Looking for a Phoenix area gunsmith recommendation to ream a new Remington 700 from a .300 RSAUM to the slightly longer .300 WSM. Both cartridges are based on the .404 Jefferies case, but the WSM is .085 inches longer. The Remington also uses a 30 degree shoulder and the WSM uses a 35 degree shoulder. Stainless barrel if it matters.

I know there is a negligible difference between the two rounds, but it is much easier to find ammunition and brass for the WSM. I could also just reform and trim down WSM cases, but want to weigh my options before investing in one round or the other.

If the WSM reamer neck size is smaller than the factory 300rsaum neck diameter you'd have to set the barrel back too far to fix it. According to SAAMI they have the exact same neck diameter of .344". Factory chambers can be a bit sloppy though. All the other dimensions are larger or longer on the WSM so you should be fine.

If the WSM reamer neck size is smaller than the factory 300rsaum neck diameter you'd have to set the barrel back too far to fix it. According to SAAMI they have the exact same neck diameter of .344". Factory chambers can be a bit sloppy though. All the other dimensions are larger or longer on the WSM so you should be fine.

To be clear, this was a phone conversation, there were no measurements of the chamber taken. I assume there will be no issues with the chamber. If there are any issues it will be easy to rectify as the rifle is brand new (just old stock) and is under warrantee. I just need to find the right smith to do the job. I prefer local as I loathe shipping firearms and like to meet the guy doing the work. Also will likely have the barrel recrowned, trigger lightened and stock bedded as I have had with all my factory rifles.

They were probably trying to say that most likely their minimum chamber reamer would be smaller in the neck compared to the factory chamber if it's a minimum SAAMI spec reamer. That would create a step in the neck when it was rechambered because the WSM is about .085" longer than the SAUM. The only way to insure that would clean up is to set the barrel back enough to recut the whole neck and most factory barrels don't make the best candidates to set them back that far. They lack flats at the chamber end like most aftermarket barrels and can be hard to hold in the lathe with no real flat section.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.