Guns your packing in with??

There sure are a whole lot of awesome guns listed in this thread.

I started with a Winchester Extreme Weather and then added a pac-nor 24" stainless ultralight barrel chambered in 338-300 WSM.

Acraglas bedded the action into the Bell & Carlson Medalist stock that came with the gun from the factory.

Topped with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40mm.

Adjustable trigger set to 2.75 lbs (Lightest setting). I was skeptical of the trigger when I bought the gun but it is surprisingly crisp. I would guess I got lucky with a good factory trigger...

The guns shoots 210 TTSXs @ 2825 fps to 3/4 MOA all day long. Plenty of power and accuracy to knock down a bull out to 600 yards.

Gun and scope weigh in right at 7 lbs 7 ounces. Kicks just a bit from the bench but hunting with it sure is nice.

Custom 270 wsm came in. Stiller action, Satern barrel, Manners MCD-SLT stock, Jewelled trigger. About 6.5 lbs
w/o scope. This years elk rifle, and will do some high altitude marmots this summer.

I took my Remmington model 770 chambered in 30/06 with a Night Force 5.5x22x56 into the Absaroka in 2010, along with my Barrett model 99 50 BMG, we did a drop camp up there with an outfitter, so they did the heavy lifting to get us into the back country, then I put it on my back and humped it up (and I mean straight up!) out of camp to a ridge at about 9000 feet, (camp was around 8000 feet, a mile away as the crow flies) We set up a secondary camp for the "Fifty position" overlooking a burn area where we could see for about 1200 yards. We did not get the opportunity to use the Barrett, I ended up shooting my elk on opening day with the 30/06 at 300 yards. It was an early season rifle hunt up there...bugled him in from around 1200 yards way up on top of a ridge (around 10,000 feet) Satellite bull all by himself, the only elk we ended up seeing on our trip. Beautiful country, here are some pics.

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

facebookvideo.jpg

Last year we did a trip into the Bridger Teton Wilderness area in Wyoming, I just took the 30/06 as space was limited and we had a lot of gear to get in there. My cousins have pack stock and they go in there every year. We had a great time, saw alot of elk, I did not harvest anything, but my cousins got a few raghorns, and a spike. (out of 6 of us hunting we took out 3 bulls) We saw Griz, wolves, Moose, deer, bald eagles.

We had a great time and saw some amazing country, I would be going back this year but didn't draw a tag. I got my Montana combo tags though, and it looks like we are doing a drop camp in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area for the early season rifle hunt up there....here are some pics from last years hunt...

DSCF2068.jpg

DSCF2071.jpg

DSCF2074.jpg

DSCF2079.jpg

DSCF2129.jpg

DSCF2127.jpg

DSCF2120.jpg

DSCF2169.jpg

DSCF2137.jpg

DSCF2123.jpg

DSCF2090-1.jpg

DSCF2187.jpg

DSCF2185.jpg

Re: Gun to pack with

I've been packing in my solo camp from our main camp at 8000 up to 10,000 ft. with enough gear for a two day hunt and carrying my 300 win mag, rem 700, with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 and a bipod. I love the gun but the older I get the heavier it gets. The next time I pack in for Mule deer I'll be using my Tikka T3 Light 25-06 with another Leupold. With the Berger 115 VLD it shoots long and flat. This saves me 3 lbs. Good luck.
Tim

Those Tikka's seem real popular for that very reason. I'm using a 338 Marlin Express lever gun. I've toted heavy barreled rigs in but don't prefer it. The balance and feel of a lever gun is great but they're not for everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.