Guns, parts, quality and relative price.

I was just told today that they thread mill the threads in the receiver face. Well, that explains the .008 out of concentricity. Single point in a lathe and you don't have near that. I'd bet less than .001

Dan, no worries on the extractor. I had a whole box of 7mm 168's with me to knock the cases out! LOL

Hey Mesh

Don't worry when I get the drawings done up for the new action it will incoorporate all the best features.
It will truly be wire edm manufactured.

I'll post a question here to what people think should be the best material to be used two catagories
Stainless Steels (including ph series)
Moly Steels (including tool steels if applicable)
Action style
round (a)
octagon (b)
round with flat bottom (c)
repeater (d)
single shot (f)
For ejection ports
Right port Right bolt (1)
Left port Left bolt (2)
Right port Left bolt (3)
Left port Right bolt (4)
Bolt stop
Traditional rem style (1a)
browning style (2a)
winchester style (3a)
or snap pin style (4a)
Bolt shroud rem style (1b)
three position style (2b)
Bolt style two lugs (1c)
three lugs (2c)
four lugs (3c)
Extractor rem style (1d)
winchester style (2d)
sako style (3d)
Bolt handle brazed on (1e)
screwed on (2e)
one piece (3e)
Scope base
integral style (part of the action picantinny style) (1f)
integral with moa slope (picantinny style) (2f)
regular style screwed on 6-40
(3f)
regular style screwed on 8-40
(4f)
Barrel threads
1-16 (1g)
1 1/16-16 (2g)
or custom (write in)
Action dia size
write in

Trigger type
pinned on (1h)
screwed on (2h)
When answering these questions use the nomenclature in the brackets and write in where needed if you have different ideas.
Thanks
Dave

[ 04-08-2003: Message edited by: daveosok ]

I just received my AR-30M in .338 lapua so i'll share some details that might help you...

Moly steel octagonal receiver OAL of around 9" The bottom of the action is a V
The action is a repeater, 5rd detachable magazine. The action is a right port right bolt. The side port opening is 4.180" and the magazine opening is 3.784".

The bolt stop is a lever on the side that blocks the locking lug from coming out of the slideways.

The bolt has two locking lugs, and is a 3-piece Savage style design, 4 pieces if you include the large pin that holds it together.
The extractor is inside one of the bolt lugs, push in the detent spring pin from the front and slide it directly out the bolt it has a small T shaped rail that parallels the bolt face. The bolt handle is forged and is one piece which slides into the bolt body and engages two cutouts which locks it together.

The scope base is seperate but the top of the receiver has a machined "T" cutout which allows the base to transmit all vertical and horizontal loads to the receiver instead of the screws. The screws just hold the base to the gun.

1.416" action outside diameter as measured between two flats and not corners.
The Bolt diameter is a .754" which tapers to a .751 towards the end of the bolt. The bolt locking ears as measured from one to the other is 1.043", the longitudinal length of the locking lug is .553" and the width is .5538". It has a conventional plunger ejector and the bolt face measures .596" for the .338 Lapua. The barrel is threaded into the receiver with 1" of thread and a recoil lug is in between the barrel and receiver that measures .376" wide. The trigger is a Shilen and uses two pins.

The stock has a wedge which engages the recoil lug from the front, by tightening this down it actually clamps the recoil lug. The action has two bedding screws, one behind the trigger and one in front of the magazine.

Stainless

Action style
round (a)

single shot (f)

For ejection ports
Left port rt bolt (4) ...corrected

Bolt stop
winchester style (3a)

Bolt shroud
three position style (2b)

Bolt style two lugs (1c)....big! .800" dia

Extractor
winchester style (2d)

Bolt handle screwed on (2e)...or
one piece (3e)

Scope base
integral with (20) moa slope (picantinny style) (2f) ...0r regular style screwed on 8-40
(4f)

Barrel threads
big and standard thread, don't skimp!

Trigger type
pinned on (1h) Rem style

Good luck!
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.