Guns of the same caliber

I'm running a Hotel California for 35 Whelens. Like the lyric says, "We are programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." There are four at last count.

For those who have multiples, do you use them all for different situations or are some of them safe queens? I feel I have to justify every weapon I buy with having a use for it. Its a psychological disorder that I blame my parents for because they didn't have allot of money when I was growing up and I had to justify every penny I asked for as a kid and the answer was almost always no. I can see a use for multiple 308 win's in my situation where one is for long range target shooting and one is for hunting. The only issue with that is the pain of reloading where each weapon has its own prefered oal and load recipe which isn't an issue if you use factory ammo. This really is playing hell on me because I have 3 mauser 98 receivers, a rem 700 LA receiver( standard bolt face) , and a rem 700 SA receiver laying around that are waiting for me to create rifles out of them and I have this disturbing need to justify whatever I build. I would really love to get a LA with a magnum bolt face and build a 338 rum but I would need to find something to hunt with it to justify it.

Last edited:
For those who have multiples, do you use them all for different situations or are some of them safe queens? I feel I have to justify every weapon I buy with having a use for it.

Most of mine are dedicated hunting rifles. There's a lot of overlap, and most overlaps were purchased because they were a spectacular deal ( example: savage stealth 308 with a Viper pst 6-24 ffp found at a pawn shop for $500). I'm a little like you where I feel the need to justify their existence, but the whole 1 is none, 2 is 1 thing helps with that. It's been nice to have the ability to let friends borrow a rifle, or the same when family comes up is pretty nice

For those who have multiples, do you use them all for different situations or are some of them safe queens? I feel I have to justify every weapon I buy with having a use for it. Its a psychological disorder that I blame my parents for because they didn't have allot of money when I was growing up and I had to justify every penny I asked for as a kid and the answer was almost always no. I can see a use for multiple 308 win's in my situation where one is for long range target shooting and one is for hunting. The only issue with that is the pain of reloading where each weapon has its own prefered oal and load recipe which isn't an issue if you use factory ammo. This really is playing hell on me because I have 3 mauser 98 receivers, a rem 700 LA receiver( standard bolt face) , and a rem 700 SA receiver laying around that are waiting for me to create rifles out of them and I have this disturbing need to justify whatever I build.
I have 4 kids, so I can justify (in my mind) 5 rifles in any given cartridge. I do have heavy versions, faster twisted versions, and higher and lower magnification scope.

Curious as to how many of you have multiple same caliber of guns in the safe. I have a number of calibers but no duplicates. I have falling in love with the 280ai and it is in a Cooper model 92. I have an itch to get a carbon barrel and have been looking at the Christensen Arms Traverse. I just don't know if it is worth it or not. I'm not looking to build a custom so that is out. I shoot the 140 gr accubonds very well out of the Cooper and was thinking of 160 gr or bigger out of the carbon barrel. Just curious as to how many of you reload for the same caliber. This is a gun I would take on a moose hunt that is the reason for the heavier bullet. Thanks for your response in advance.
I've got more 7mm cals than anything. Next behind that is 6.5 cals. Duplicate cartridges along with different cartridges for both of those.

I'm down to only (2) 30-06's right now and I feel naked and ashamed. I have a Medallion Abolt .338 WM that I'd trade / make a deal for an equivalent 06.

For the last several yearsI have run four 6.5x284's(Hunting) and three 6.5x47 Laouas(competition). Prior to these, I have owned duplicates in several favorite cartridges over the years. While they all have performEd equally well from an accuracy/ballistic standpoint, they have had variations in configuration, load, and scopes. While I may be able to rationalize each variations purpose, I'll admit OCD may be the more prevalent dynamic at work. With both current cartilages mentioned, I have a go-to favorite rifle that is used a majority of the time....with little difference in results.
I suppose most of the appeal is in the planning and execution.....

My highest is 5 .30-06's followed by 3 .45 colts and technically 3 .300 Win Mags. My .30-06 are all historic rifles - M1, 1903, 1895, Pre-War Model 70 and Remington 760 while the .45's are a pair of vaqueros and an 1873 for the cowboy shoots. For the Win Mags I have a Model 70 super grade, a Mausingfield M5 Target rifle and a second barrel for my Mausingfield M7 Hunting rifle which is normally a 6.5 PRC.

I have an itch to get a carbon barrel and have been looking at the Christensen Arms Traverse. I just don't know if it is worth it or not....
I'm also intrigued by the carbon barrel. I know one guy that has the Ridgeline and also a Mesa. He is impressed that both shoot equally well. The carbon fiber barrel cools much faster which is a huge advantage in the desert in Az.

Curious as to how many of you have multiple same caliber of guns in the safe. I have a number of calibers but no duplicates. I have falling in love with the 280ai and it is in a Cooper model 92. I have an itch to get a carbon barrel and have been looking at the Christensen Arms Traverse. I just don't know if it is worth it or not. I'm not looking to build a custom so that is out. I shoot the 140 gr accubonds very well out of the Cooper and was thinking of 160 gr or bigger out of the carbon barrel. Just curious as to how many of you reload for the same caliber. This is a gun I would take on a moose hunt that is the reason for the heavier bullet. Thanks for your response in advance.
I just got a Traverse in 280AI. I freaking love it. Getting real close on load development with 140 gr TTSXs and H4350 and H4831SC. Under 1/2" groups at 3150'/sec. low SD and ES also. Extremely happy with the rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.