Guns of the same caliber

onetohunt

Curious as to how many of you have multiple same caliber of guns in the safe. I have a number of calibers but no duplicates. I have falling in love with the 280ai and it is in a Cooper model 92. I have an itch to get a carbon barrel and have been looking at the Christensen Arms Traverse. I just don't know if it is worth it or not. I'm not looking to build a custom so that is out. I shoot the 140 gr accubonds very well out of the Cooper and was thinking of 160 gr or bigger out of the carbon barrel. Just curious as to how many of you reload for the same caliber. This is a gun I would take on a moose hunt that is the reason for the heavier bullet. Thanks for your response in advance.

My weak spot is 300wm. I have several of them. Lighter weight, medium weight, and some on the heavier weight side of things. Load for each and every one of them. Different bullets and powders and do my best to keep brass separate for each rifle.

I have three .224", three 6.5mms, two 7mms, plus a few rifles in other calibers.

I also have a couple 6.5SSs, so two in the same cartridge as well.

Last edited:
Same caliber or same cartridge? For same caliber, I run 7-08, 280Rem and a 7RM as I love the .284s. Lets you get a bunch of the same diameter bullets in all sorts of weights, and usually have at least one rifle that will make the most of them.

As far as the same cartridge goes, only when the rifles have unique uses, like an AR in 223 and a Varmint bolt action 223. Same with an AR10 and a 308 bolt rifle.

I used to always want a different caliber when I bought a new gun, but now I've narrowed it down to a few favorite calibers. I like not having to buy so many different kinds of ammo. And now I use certain guns for different scenarios in the same caliber. For instance i have multiple rifles in .308 but which one I choose to use depends on if I'm in a tree stand, running dogs, or in the mountains.

I have three 7mm-08's , and two 243's . the only trick to this is keeping your brass separate . I use rem brass in the browning , Norma brass in the Remington , and odds and ends in the tikka .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.