Gun writer statements that are no longer applicable or you don't agree with.

DJ Fergus

Would like to hear if you guys have any things that you heard in old hunting and shooting magazines that you don't think are applicable anymore or that you don't agree with concerning rifles, cartridges, bullets or barrels.

Nobody needs more than 9 power in a hunting scope........

Scope companies beat their scopes to death on recoil testers and than sell them to the public half wore out......

Those guy's in Pa shooting mountain to mountain (1000yds) won't even kill game if they manage to hit em'.........

Those short magnum's are a fad, be gone in a couple years......

Would like to hear if you guys have any things that you heard in old hunting and shooting magazines that you don't think are applicable anymore or that you don't agree with concerning rifles, cartridges, bullets or barrels.

On this site.......that would be my "signature line"! It seems that many are "minimalist" when hunting game! :confused: Obviously, I don't follow trends! memtb

Petzel made comments when reviewing some magnum caliber rifles, 300wm was one he reviewed and he sort of dinged the manufacturer for putting a 26" barrel on it. Said the manufacturer should have put on a 22" or 24" He apparently hated 26" barrels. His preference. But not everyone wants a 300 wm 24" Which if a fellow was tree stand hunting all the time I could understand. But if I were tree stand hunting, I probably wouldn't buy a 300wm soley for that purpose. He seemed to sell himself as the know it all of rifles. Seems like he would have been smart enough to know folks would be better suited with something besides 300 win mag if they wanted a short quick handling rifle.

"The best 7mm Mag elk load is the plain Remington 150 corlokt ammo...you have to 'shock" an elk"...

"The reason the 7mm Rem Mag is such a killer on elk is the bullet 'tumbles" in flight"....

Any and all use of Military FMJ/30-06 loads on elk, whether you filed the nose off or not!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts