Gun Stocks

mdrewel

Question

I have a Rem 700 BDL 7MM MAG. Old gun one of the factory stainless barrels, old safty that you have to have on fire to move the bolt.

It shoots good but you sight it in and carry it around hunting and in the truck and it moves poi. It done it last year when I had a proven Leupold 6-18 scope but I thought it could of been the scope so I put a proven Leupold 3-9 on it this year and it done the same thing.

Its and inherited gun so I don't have no history on it other than my wife said her dad killed a deer with it every year.

It had an externily adjustment baush and lome scope on it that I took off.
It has a choate synthetic stock that looks kind of flimsy.

Do you guys think it could be the stock? Every thing else seems tight.

Leupold base and rings loctited in.

Well , even if the screws for the scope bases and rings are loctited in place it doesen't ensure that they are holding everything down tight , if they are bottomed out before drawing down the pressure then the loctite is just keepng them from comming out. BUT , generaly this is only a problem with the ring screws especialy in the Rem 700's case as the screw holes run through into the bolt race way.

I would probably suggest that its the stock and the bedding or lack their of. Choate stock are prety cheap and pretty flexible due to their being injection molded. If you have the funds I would suggest replacing the stock with an HS Precision or comperable , a good laminated stock thats properly bedded would also be a good choice.

If the stock has to stay on the gun for "family reasons" then you can have the forend bedding with some small aluminum round bars in it to stiffen the forend and have the action area filled and bedded properly , this will likely cost more than the new HS stock though.

M<y suggestion would be to get another rifle that you can tinker with and make shoot the way you want , then start your own history with it.

"Choate stock are prety cheap and pretty flexible due to their being injection molded"

Choate must have been in business for a while it has 1987 date on it.

I didn't hear about them until their stocks going on the savage.

i have a choat on my 10 fp i think there stiff as heck they have a big piece of a aluminum all the way to the front of the stock and they mold the stock over that thats one reason they weigh a ton

JIM

No aluminum in this one DB.

I'm kicking around whether to spend the $3oo on an hs precison or just buy the sps stock for $100.

I've got a 10 year old Rem 700 243 adl synthetic that never moves poi. But the larger caliber might need something different.

The SPS stock is no better , don't waste your money.

You can find some deals on stock on E-bay , even a decient wood stock would be a big improvement just have it bedded and releave the barrel chanel to make sure that its floated at least the size of two buisness cards thick.
but don't overlook the Bell & Carlson medalist line of stock , they are pretty well built have have a bedding block int he action area and the forend is pretty stiff.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.