Gun Smith recomendations??

Greg Duerr

Im looking at getting a new Rifle as right now I hunt with a .243 AI When hunting Black Bear I keep my fingers crossed when pulling the trigger .........and its easy to draw a cow elk tag in Nevada as well as my wifes family that want me to come up to Northern Idaho to hunt Deer and Elk with them.
I like ordering the McMillan Gel Swirls stock as the last one was beautiful and gives your rifle a one of a kind look. I have considered the Cooper line of Rifles and have talked with Cooper and they are very customer savy. My dad gave me a Remington 700 years ago in a .280 and that meant a lot to me and would want to get that cartrige back, so im leaning towards the .280

Would love to hear back from anyone with a Smith recomendation and any sugjestiions on what parts barrels have worked best for you..................I know that I want a Jewell Trigger and want the barrel coated flat black What twist rate for shooting 140 to 168 gr bullets and barrel company as well as the lenght. I reallize that a lot of guys like the .280 Ackley but not sure the added 150 FPS is worth it .................speaking from NO experiance. In the past I have shot some Mule Deer and Antelope with the 7mm-08.
Just looking for a great non magnum Rifle so when drawing down on a 600 lb Black Bear im not hesitating on the outcome of pulling the Trigger.

Greg

For the barrel use a 1:9 twist, 24" or 26" finish, go with a krieger, bartlein, lilja, benchmark, broughton, hart, brux, or rock creek brand, anyone of those will be shooters.

I have heard good and bad about pac-nor, the shilen match (not select match), and a couple others but they escape me right now. I have heard great things about the mcgowen and CBI also.

I had mine built on a Remington action, Rock creek barrel, Shilen trigger(check those out. feel like a jewel, for $90-$100). PTG bolt, and Manners stock(was on the fence with the McMillan. I also have a Shilen barrel in a .25-06 and it shoots better than I do. both guns are sub 1/2 easy, and I've shot 1" groups at 450 with the Rock creek. as for the smith, Randy's custom rifles did my .25-06 and it was shipped to him, and was back on my door step finished in 19 days. The 300 win mag Remington was done by "Young's Guns" and turn around was very good there as well. both are great shooters.....I'd not hesitate to send them to either, but Young's is top notch. as for the 280, great cartridge......but I have a .270 and a 300 so I just bookend it.....hope this helped
Nimrod

Nimrod

my pastor always tells those in our church who frown on him hunting ....................Deer are pagen animals they get several wives he gets them all pregnet and then he splits ...........................Im sure the women want to kill him so we just help them out.

Greg, ask 7stw about his 280 rem he just built. It is on a win model 70 action and a brux barrel.

I can't recommend Lorenzo Young at deadly precision enough he turned my factory savage 110 fcp 338 lapua into a serious shooter. and as far as barrels are concerned I have really been impressed with the brux barrel he put on the rifle it shoots extremely well and cleans up easy cheesy.

Here are a couple pics oh and that's a typical 100 yard group with this rifle

I keep telling myself that my .243AI is not enough but I will be hunting deer and Cow Elk this fall and if I dont let myself down we will see if the .243 will let me down. Both areas are long big and open sage country long shot are a rule.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.