Gun Safe

Mike6158

I've been doing some online shopping for a gun safe. I'll probably buy from some place that I can actually touch the safe and see it but I was curious about what others have bought and whether they like them or not.

One thing I'm noticing is that the mfg's claim of 40 guns isn't very convincing when the picture on the site shows 8 or 9 guns stuffed in a box with not much room left because of all of the other crappage that they throw in there. Are they saying 30 pistols and 10 rifles? Seems kind of like false advertising to me. If I buy a 40 gun safe it needs to hold 40 long guns not a couple of long guns with a pile of pistols thrown in the floor :cool:

Well hell... I hadn't even thought about Tractor Supply... that place rocks... but I hate going there. I always find something I "need" :D

I don't know where a Costco is around here. We do good to have a Walmart... The nearest Tractor Supply is 90 miles away but so is everything else.

Thanks!

I've got a 22"x36"x60" Cannon. It has 32 "slots" for long guns, in reality it holds a few more than half that comfortably. I have no complaints about it or the price.

Cannon's Patriot Series actually gives you a low to high number on the capacity of guns for example 6-12 guns. Mind ya safes are heavy-I was ok on a concrete slab but, a friend of mine bought one and lives in an elevated wood frame floor house and had to reinforce the floor joists underneath not to mention getting up 5 wooden steps.

Cannon's Patriot Series actually gives you a low to high number on the capacity of guns for example 6-12 guns. Mind ya safes are heavy-I was ok on a concrete slab but, a friend of mine bought one and lives in an elevated wood frame floor house and had to reinforce the floor joists underneath not to mention getting up 5 wooden steps.

I'm on concrete here too. I noticed that those things can go 800 pounds and up... Should be real fun to get into the house...

Mike

I have the Stack-On Elite, measures 59 high 35 wide and 27 deep supposed to hold 36 long guns.

You can get that many in there but its crowded and you can forget about getting to any of the back guns without unloading most of the front ones.

I have mine set up with the longer guns on one side(longest has a 27" barrel) and there is room for one shelf above them with about 6" of room to the top of safe. On the other side there's room for another shelf that has about 12" to the top of the safe.

The notches for the guns are plastic and there are plastic stand off parts that can be added for additional clearance, kind of a cheap setup but they work. although you have to be careful when installing them or you'll pull the screw all the way through the plastic.

Chris

Mike, forgot to mention earlier but, some come with dehumidifiers...something you might want to look into. You mentioned 800lbs., hell some of them are over 1500lbs.:) Have fun

I'm on concrete here too. I noticed that those things can go 800 pounds and up... Should be real fun to get into the house...

Bring a friend, a good one, or a relative. :D

With a good handtruck it isn't that bad if you don't have a bunch of steps to go up. A good furniture dolly(or two) may be useful depending on where it is going.

#1 Buy the largest model they make.(the door eliminates the entire front row of slots for rifles)

#2 Buy from someone who can deliver and has the motorized stair climbing dolly to get it where you need it.(2 1/2 hours to get it in my basement)

#3 Measure twice to make sure it will fit. (had to take down a section of my ceiling to stand it up)

#4 Big scopes eat up even more space.

#5 Take the time and bolt it down real good.

#6 Fill it up and figure out where to put the second one.:D

grinnergetter, your making me grin. If you put it in the basement then wouldn't the ceiling you had to remove be part of the floor above. I'm picturing that in my mind and mean no disrespect but, I can see the look on my friends and family if I did that...and told them don't worry it's strong enough you can walk on it...I mean how high above the floor did it stick up...or were you just storing it in the basement and later moved it upstairs where the ceiling cut out was like into your attic or something...again no disrespect intended but ya gotta fill us in.:)

Turned out we were a bit shy when we stood it upright. I used exterior siding sheets for walls and ceiling so I took all the screws out of a panel and the safe was able to be stood upright by going up, over, and finally down in between the joists. Missed the measurement by a weee bit. The 2 guys from the safe company will never forget me and they got a great tip.

Basically the top corner of the safe hit the ceiling when we stood it up.
Grin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.